News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Here Come the Veg!

Started by Opsa, August 06, 2008, 04:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Well, I guess we lucked out as to trying to attempt a vegetable garden this year in this area. We've had weekly rains and not too drastic temps, and the veg are happy. In fact, they are on the verge of TOO happy, in which case we are planning drive-by vegging of unsuspecting neighbors and friends.

We have zucchini, yellow squash, green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, green and purple basil, and one tiny watermelon baby. The bib lettuce has bolted, but I am enjoying its flowers. We also have zinnia, four o'clocks, marigolds, nicotania alata and n. rustica, and cosmos sharing the veg beds.

It has been fun to watch the veggies grow, and to eat and share them. We have used no persticides and the stuff has been fine. We plan to plow under these same small raised beds next year and do more veg. I don't know whether we'll have another good weather year next time, but we are hooked!

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Sibling Chatty

This sig area under construction.

Opsa

Hey Chatty- you got a fave yellow squash recipe?

Darlica

Pictures where are the pictures! ;)

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

goat starer

If its pictures you want then directions to the Liljevalchs konsthall can be found here

http://www.liljevalchs.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=1883

oh sorry... you wanted pictures of vegetables....  how about this....

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Darlica

That one hangs at Skokloster castle, where I was earlier this summer.

Liljevalchs, well it's an institution :-\ and it's closed for renovation at the moment... :P ;)
I usually prefer the museum of modern art or the old art at the National museum. :)

goat starer

you will have to organise toadfish trips!
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Darlica

I could live with that. ;) And baking cakes to bring on the trips.  ;D

Opsa

Okay, I just took these (see below if site allows)

1) Countertop with veg from garden. Note: Mr. Gigantor zucchini, picked today.

2) Raised veg beds brimming over.

3) This Tiger Swallowtail butterfly perched on a zinnia  and allowed me to take his photo.

Darlica

:o
Gorgeous veggies, wonderful garden and a beautiful butterfly!

:)

Sibling Chatty

Yellow Squash casserole...

Cut up and boil squashies wif sum onions an a l'il garlic, not too much water so most boils away.

Some breadcrumbs, I like wheat bread, cornbread or both, mebbe a little butter if ya wanna. Mix 'em in, whip up an egg or two, mix THEM in, toss inna oven and bake. Put some cheese on top at the end if ya wanna.

I always top it with crushed Cheezits or wheat crackers, THEN the cheese...

Yes, this is HOW I cook.
This sig area under construction.

Bruder Cuzzen

Hi Ops ,

You have a beautiful looking garden , it just needs a pond .
How much space do you have to play with bye the way   ?
Since I put in the pond and decks I have little room for veg , and will probably do container gardening next season .
I have some peepers ( they be wee things) and tomatoes growing in old 20 liter plastic paint buckets.
They are alive and producing fruit but the yield is very poor compared to what I had growing in raised beds .

Opsa

Yum! That squash casserole sounds great- I'll try it!  :-* Thanks! I even have all the ingredients at hand!

I have a couple of possible areas for a pond. One is right by the house, a little area between the back steps and the patio, about 3 x 6 feet or so. The other area might be between patio and veg beds, which is maybe six feet by fifty feet. There's a swale there right now, but one fantasy is to put a pond there with a little moon bridge across it.

Black Bart

She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night