News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Take the Great British class calculator check

Started by Griffin NoName, April 04, 2013, 06:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

If I put in my salary before I got ill, before I retired, I come out as "Elite" - which is pretty much what I expected

If I put in exactly the same details, but my pension income, I come out as "Traditional Working Class" which is defintely wrong.

Since many reasonable earners end up with pitiful pensions, this is quite irritating. I don't change class because I am a pensioner, or do I???

Why do I care? I am British !!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

It makes me traditional working class.  This is bilge, though I'm in no way ashamed of my working-class roots.  This type of test is IMO generally rubbish dreamed up by some second-class writer desperate to fill their allotted slot.

Opsa

Aggie

Technical working class, if I put in my old rate of pay, emergent service worker if I put in my current one.  Both fit as a job-based descriptors for those periods of my life.

Based on the graphical representations, I 'look' most like a precariat with a suspicious savings account. 

I got a laugh at the very small range of professions listed for people you know socially.  I lost class points for ticking 'farm worker', which I found funny because the farm worker friend I had in mind is an ex-chartered psychologist. ;)

Get your head out of your class, Britain! ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The fact of the concept of class still being peddled even by the Beeb is IMHO a very worrisome sign, a chaste system isn't desirable even if it is possible for individuals to move [up] during their lifetimes.

Established Middle Class...  ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 05, 2013, 02:42:42 PM
The fact of the concept of class still being peddled even by the Beeb is IMHO a very worrisome sign, a chaste system isn't desirable even if it is possible for individuals to move [up] during their lifetimes.

A chaste system would be OK; I presume that's a system where the lower classes aren't constantly getting f*cked by our overlords? ;)
WWDDD?

Bluenose

This country has probably as close to a classless society as you can get. No one here thinks that they are in any way inferior to any one else. Sure, there are a few exceptions but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't think for example that their opinion want as good as that of, say, the prime minister. A sure fire way to be ridiculed here is to try to set yourself up as being better than any one else.  Attempts have been made a couple of times in our 200 odd years of history to establish an aristocracy here, but these have met with a spectacular lack of success.

Elite.   ;)
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Lindorm

While this latest test might be open to discussion when it comes to it's methods and conclusions, I would consider it naive to the extreme to completely disregard the existence of class and inequality.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

One thing is to disregard class and the other is to peddle it as if it were something desirable.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.