News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

At my place...

Started by Bluenose, January 17, 2013, 11:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Pachyderm on January 19, 2013, 04:08:09 PM
But when not working, I loaf around, and try to avoid going outside as much as possible, to enjoy being indoors, warm and dry.

There ain't a thing wrong with that-- sometimes, what we really want, is contrast from what we were doing all day--for several days straight.

For example, I work on A/C's from spring to summer, including installs.   When I moved in to my current house?  It had nothing but window units.  I immediately had big plans on salavaging a working used central A/C, and retrofitting it.  That was... 7?  Seven or so years ago:  I have the working, used unit sitting outside, waiting.  I have a choice of several indoor coils.  The copper tubing is not a problem.  

What I don't have?  Is the wherewithal to work on my own house.   :ROFL:  
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

That's often the cost of a job Pachy; chefs often don't cook at home, etc.

In a Somerset zoo some lemurs have worked out how to adjust the thermostat on a heater (since the cold weather and snow arrived), and also take turns wrapping themselves round the heater. I like it when animals co-operate; it shows they do actually have empathy.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

So this was it looked like at my place (my mothers place actually) today.
A gorgeous winters day: -16 degrees and sunshine.  :)

This is the view from my window. :)

Sometimes it's quite nice to be a grown up, like when you want to make an ice lantern and it seems like a good idea to do do the emptying and carving in the bathroom! ;D

Only birds out today, fox trails in the ice though.  :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

Wow, gorgeous photos! I have never seen an ice lantern. That's so cool!

Zono's post made me remember an African friend we had. He was vastly amused at the squirrels. We said eh- squirrels are cute, but they're a dime a dozen around here. He said bah- all they have in the back yard in Africa are monkeys. Boring! I guess it all depends on where you're coming from.

Pachyderm

You take a fine photo, Darli. Love the view from the window one.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Darlica

Thank you Opsa and Pachy! :D

I couldn't resist to make lanterns now when it's so cold. I wanted to do one for Xmas bot it wasn't cold enough.

If one want to go beyond the basic bucket+ water + subzero temperature= lantern it's rather easy to decorate by carving the ice.  :D

Squirrels are both cute and fascinating as well as vicious critters. Of some sad reason we don't have many squirrels around here any more:  :-\ I miss the little rascals.

Okay, I love that ice lantern-- and I get the freeze water in a bucket thing too.

So.  What's next?  Do you use a blowtorch to remove the center hole?  Or is that part of the bucket-molding process?  (a plastic tube ought to work, or even a cardboard tube covered with a plastic bag, filled with rocks to sink it...)   Or do you use a knife or drill?

And what's the lantern's light made of?  A candle?  An oil lamp, or an electric (waterproof) bulb?   I'd love to make one for here--even though it'd only last a day or two.

Beautiful effect, though.

Griffin NoName

I love the photo of the huge field of unbroken snow - no footprints.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Lovely photos, Darli.  I would really love to live there, too .... for about a week.  Then I'd start longing for warmth.

Darlica

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on January 19, 2013, 11:20:47 PM
Okay, I love that ice lantern-- and I get the freeze water in a bucket thing too.

So.  What's next?  Do you use a blowtorch to remove the center hole?  Or is that part of the bucket-molding process?  (a plastic tube ought to work, or even a cardboard tube covered with a plastic bag, filled with rocks to sink it...)   Or do you use a knife or drill?

And what's the lantern's light made of?  A candle?  An oil lamp, or an electric (waterproof) bulb?   I'd love to make one for here--even though it'd only last a day or two.

Beautiful effect, though.

It's not that complicated! :)
Plastic buckets are the best moulds, the softer rubbery plastic the better as the expanding ice will crack any brittle material.

The trick is to let the water freeze around the sides but not in the middle. How fast the water freezes depends on the temperature of cause. The walls if the lantern should be at least 1.5 cm preferably more. The ice in the bottom of the bucket will be thinner and will therefore be the open top of the lantern.

When the bucket is "half frozen", get the ice out gently, puncture the "bottom" as the ice is the weakest there and then empty the ice lantern. Widen the hole by carving an opening wide enough to fit your hand. If you don't want to carve use something hot (a heated screwdriver works well.)

For light source I use a tea candle in a glass jar (the jar helps to distribute the heat and saves the candle from drowning in melt water). However I think any light source that doesn't emit too much heat will do fine, I think led lights could be spectacular.
What one could do if using led light do a much smaller opening and play more with the shape of the lantern (like using a traffic cone as a mould).

For decoration: if the ice is thick enough you can carve patterns, otherwise to make the ice clear and crystal like, apply some heat. To make it look frosted, spray water on the ice and then scoop up snow on the wet area, after a few minutes brush of the excess snow (for this to work it has to be pretty cold).

Yes, Not only do I like to play with fire, I also like to play with Ice! ;D

I have some more new photos at my flicr page. Take a peak if you like (and as usual if you see someting you like e-mail me for a better resolution pic).

pieces o nine

Such lovely photos, Darlica, but they made me think about rustling up a sweater!   :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Darlica

Thank you Pices! :)
That's a perfectly sound reaction it was -16 when I took them... Dry cold though since the lake has frozen over. Crisp and nice winters day! :D

Sweet-- so simple, it never occurred to me to just empty the excess water once the outside edges were frozen enough.  Love it.

Swatopluk

I'd have expected a smaller in a bigger bucket with just the room between filled with water
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

I like the simple approach to the ice lanterns. :)

For those who *must* have a specific product to do this, I do know that molds (of Scandinavian design) are available to make star-shaped lanterns:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/gifts/page.aspx?cat=4,104,53208&p=52307

WWDDD?