News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Here we go again...

Started by Bluenose, January 05, 2013, 11:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bluenose on January 29, 2013, 06:06:09 AM
Well the wedding has been and gone, number  one son has been married off and is now on his honeymoon in Thailand with his bride.  Lucky bastard...

My elder son went to Thailand for his honeymoon. They had a five star  package........ got ferried around by their own personal driver........ yes talk about lucky......

:offtopic: :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I am glad to hear that the wedding went well, and I hope the weather becomes kinder to our Ozzie friends.

pieces o nine

* throws non-flammable rice *
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bluenose

Fire in the high country still burning after several weeks and today claimed the lives of two Department of Sustainability fire-fighters when a tree fell on their vehicle.  Several other fires are still burning around the state and have threatened a few towns on the way.

I find myself feeling a bit low about the two casualties today. I didn't know them, I have no particular association with the Mount Hotham area where it is burning, but it does seem to have hit me for some reason.  Maybe I'm just tired, I think I might go to bed soon.

See you tomorrow, Siblings.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Aw Bluenose, who wouldn't feel bad for them? The whole thing has been exhausting and now this. Sending good vibes and hopes that the fires will be put out. :goodvibes: :cry_blanket:

Bluenose

Thanks Opsa, much appreciated
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

I think it's hard when disasters hit the headlines, but when they go on and on, they become non-news. I always feel sad about such events long after they are never remarked on again. I guess it matches chronic illness - people just forget you exist.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

So sorry, Blue. It must be so demoralizing for their teammates and so horrible for their families.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Bluenose

The authorities have not released names yet but the victims were a 35 YO male and a "teenager" (probably 18 or 19) female.  Sad does not begin to express how I feel about it.  Must be male menopause...

pieces o nine

No, it is a human response to the loss of someone doing a tough job.

Griffin NoName

Not male menapuase to feel for such tragedy, the ending of young lives, the loss of their families, all struck down by nature.
Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

This would wear out even the hardiest soul.

Ranchao

Quote from: Bluenose on January 05, 2013, 11:29:14 AM
Weather across southern and central Australia has been very hot of late with temperature in many places topping 47-48°C (116-118°F).  One location in South Australia reached 51.2°C (124°F), only 0.2° below the all time Australian record.  Today in Melbourne was a lot less hot than yesterday, when it got to 43°C, but it's predicted to go back above 40°C for the next five days or so and there is a good chance the Australian record high temperature may be exceeded in some inland locations.

There have already been some fairly severe bushfires, especially in Tasmania where a couple of towns have been badly effected in scenes reminiscent of the fires in Victoria on Black Saturday in 2009.  Fortunately, at the moment there have been no confirmed fatalities.  Last night approximately 1,000 people were evacuated by sea from the Tasman Peninsular as the fires had completely cut off the peninsular at Eaglehawk Neck.  However, news reports to hand indicate that the main highway has just recently been re-opened.  The fire services across Tasmania, Victoria, South Australia and southern New South Wales are bracing for the next few days.  There is a large pool of very hot air over the continent at the moment and in southern regions strong, aftermarket parts hot and dry northerly winds are forecast.  The country has dried out after a couple of years of strong vegetation growth due to substantial rains and so now it is much like the clichéd tinder box.  The potential for very bad fires is frighteningly real.  Lets just hope we can get through this without anything further happening.  But I wouldn't be betting on it...

This is too hot and here we are facing -5 degree just opposite. Freezy outside

Opsa

Hey, Ranchao, we'd love to show you around the monastery. Please come and say hi in our introduction thread by clicking here.