News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Here we go again...

Started by Bluenose, January 05, 2013, 11:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Okay, thanks, and good luck.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

We'll keep our collective [virtual] fingers crossed, just in case.

Happy Weddings, by the way!  :D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Congrats to the Blue family for the wedding.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Hi Sibs,  The Blue Clan is preparing for the day.  Lots of work to do around here to get ready.  Fun!  (not)

As for the fire situation, there are still a lot of fires around the country.  The situation in Tasmania has been largely brought under control.  The main concern at the moment is for New South Wales where according to reports last night there are still about 130 fires.  Most of the current concern is for the large fire in the Warrumbungle National Park which is not yet under control - this is the fire that destroyed the accommodation block at the Anglo-Australian Observatory at Siding Springs. Friday is shaping up as the next extreme weather event and as much as is possible is being done to try to prevent this fire and others getting away again.

Overall, there has been no loss of life due to fire, although one Victorian fire-fighter unfortunately lost his life working on identifying possible control lines for one of the fires in Tasmania, but this is reported to be due to natural causes.  Still sad, however.

On the positive side, it does seem that some of the lessons from the Black Saturday fires and other previous fires have been applied.  For example, at Siding Springs as a result of the destruction of the Mt Stromlo Observatory in the fires near Canberra in 2009, action was taken to reduce vegetation near the observatory, to use fire retardant paint on the buildings and other measures.  As a result, none of the instruments were damaged, although as I mentioned the accommodation block was burned down.  Most encouragingly of all, seems to be that improved warning systems and people taking notice and action on them so far seems to have resulted in only property losses.  Not to understate the devastation that this has undoubtedly caused many people, for example one farmer I heard interviewed on the radio has lost an entire blood line of Marino sheep that his family had developed over generations.  So, let's hope that the lack of fatalities continues and with luck the next peak in fire danger due at the end of the week passes by without too much happening.

On the gripping hand, it is only early in the fire season.  No telling what the fire gods have in store for us yet...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

pieces o nine

Thanks for checking in with an update.

Stay safe and hope you have a wonderful event!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I am sorry to hear about the loss of the fireman's life and the whole merino sheep strain. Very sad.

I hope a good rainy season comes sooner than planned.

Bluenose

Thanks guys,  the rains are a few months off yet, it is still early in the season, the peak fire risk usually occurs in February and extends into the first half of March.  Long way to go now.

The Warrumbungle fire in NSW is the main concern today and tomorrow which is shaping up as very hot and windy (bad combination), although the forecast is not as bad as first thought.  It has already burned over 40,000 hectares (≈100,000 acres) and has a perimeter of around 240 km.  Properties on the outskirts of the township of Coonabarabran are at risk if the fire continues to burn in its current (and likely near future) direction but there have not been reports as yet that the town itself is under threat.

I'll keep you posted.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling DavidH

Blimey!  Good luck, Aussies!

Bluenose

Well, about time for another update.

The situation has not been great lately.  There are several fires burning in my home State of Victoria that are causing a lot of concern, in fact one fire has claimed the life of an unfortunate gentleman who was found deceased in a burnt out car.  A quite large fire is burning east of Melbourne in the Gippsland area and although nowhere near a threat around here, we have had a lot of smoke haze lately and yesterday you could smell the smoke, not very pleasant.  Still expecting warmer times later this week then a cooler change on Friiday.  Not much rain forecast, so we have to hope nothing gets really out of control.  The firefighters, both paid and volunteer are doing a fantastic job and the authorities are rotating people in and out of the fire grounds to help manage fatigue, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who must be pretty knackered after a two or three weeks of this, not to mention we've still got a long way to go.  In NSW the big fire in the Warrumbungle National Park is still burning and only about 3/4 of the perimeter is under some sort of control.  A wrong change of wind and it could be off again.  I heard yesterday that NSW currently has about 140 fires burning with only about half under control.  Add to that the fact that lightening has been igniting new fires all the time and often in very rough country, which only makes things worse.

I'll keep you more or less up to date as things progress, but as I said, I'm a bit distracted with No1 son's wedding on Friday.  No doubt things will settle down at Casa del Blue after the weekend.  :mrgreen:

Sibling DavidH

Blimey!  Again, all the best, Aussies.

Bruder Cuzzen

Oh no , not again.

Seeing those poor wee kaola bears thirsting breaks my heart.   :-[

Opsa

I know. They are so special.

Thank goodness that wedding cakes don't require candles!

I hope the wedding goes swimmingly and send our congratulations to all involved.  :-*

Bluenose

Thanks Opsa, will do.

Woke up this morning to the news that a fire in the high country has become very serious.  Yesterday I heard that about 30 hikers were airlifted out by helicopter from Mount Feathertop and today the towns of Bright and Harrietville are under threat.  This is in a lovely part of the State with a great deal of European deciduous trees that were planted by the early settlers to the area and which put on a great show in the autumn.  Not quite the vast panorama of autumn colour you north American types are probably used to, but it is pretty nevertheless.  After what happened to Marysville during the Black Saturday fires, this development is quite worrying.  At least the fire is not as fast moving as on Black Saturday so hopefully people will be able to heed the warnings and get out, but it would be devastating if those gorgeous little towns are badly effected.  I need all your Toadfish good vibes to help protect this picturesque area!

Aggie

WWDDD?