News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Never Ending Toadfish Interview Cycle!

Started by goat starer, November 17, 2006, 10:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 02, 2006, 05:49:27 AM

1) What is your "I know it's irrational, and I don't care" fear?

2) What's your favorite kind of cake? CAKE!!

3) What cartoon/comic book/fictional character from childhood do you remember most?

1) Either fear of walking across a bridge (I can do it now, but locked inside is a blubbering child, saying "go back") or else claustrophobia--but limited to deep caves (mostly). (occasionally rears it's ugly head, when I'm crawling around under a house, trying to fix some duct-work or other)

2) Cake-flavored cake.  ;D  (I like all sorts-- seriously depends on my mood at the time of eating)

But, if pressed into a choice, it's German-chocolate cake with "traditional" coconut-pecan icing.

3) Remember most? I suppose it would be from the writings of Robert A Heinlein.  And his most memorable character would be Lazarus Long.  I still find myself using LL's view of the world, to make decisions.

1) What is your most treasured Holiday memory?

2) Do you look forward to your family getting together, or with regrets-- or what?

3) What is your favorite "ethnic" food? (By ethnic, I mean food from a culture other than your own.)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

1)  Most treasured holiday memory:
Having Yuletide with my friends.  The Yule orange.  It had cloves stuck all over it.  You held it between your chin and chest, offering it to a friend.  They took a clove with their teeth, kissed you, and took the orange from you with *their* neck and chest.  If the orange was dropped, you have to pick it up off the floor with your chin and chest.  :D

2)  Do I look forward to family get togethers, or with regrets, or what?
With a sense of humour.  My family's Scottish/Welsh.  Ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding?  Just switch the haircolours to various red taints and roll the rrr's.  lol  My family believes in not hiding feelings.  Especially bad ones.  So it was actually entertaining be at the dinner table.  Sit back and wait for some bitching to begin...  ;)  Nothing ever got truly mean, or rude.  Just 'aired out'.

3)  Favourite ethinic food:
East Indian!  Yummyyummyyummy...  (With a nice side note for sushi)  I've recently made a new friend with Indian roomies... who know how to cook...  Woot!

-----------------------------

1)  What's your all time favourite 'kid's' movie?
2)  What's your morning routine?
3)  Who's your idol/mentor/person you look up to?
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

1)  What's your all time favourite 'kid's' movie?
The Three Lives of Thomasina. Great little movie.
2)  What's your morning routine?
Get up at around six, make myself a cup of coffee, get online, check various things, read the news, get ready for school, go.
3)  Who's your idol/mentor/person you look up to?
A combo of my mother and my debate coach. Both brilliant people, and I've learned a lot from them.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

DaveL

1)Favorite teacher as a student of any level was?

Definitely my Geology Professor, I always enjoyed his lectures - really thought provoking about the origins of life. I saw him a few years later on TV taking on a bunch of pseudo scientists from Ark Search, who had solid proof they had found Noah's Ark. It was a crop of sedimentary folds, not a boat! His work definitely inspired me when ID rose it's ugly head.

2)Least favorite classic litertaure

Any thing Mills and Boon

3)Favorite holiday food

At home - anything associated with Xmas
Away - eating authentic local foods and produce

1)A song that sticks in your head from long ago, that everyone else has forgetten?

2)Should Hollywood stars really be allowed to adopt children from the 3rd world?

3)Do you have brothers and sisters?
Busily tracking Santa on NORAD...

This year your toast ye chubby, slegh driving, white bearded, coca cola advertisement!!

Sibling Chatty

1)A song that sticks in your head from long ago, that everyone else has forgetten?

Roy Orbison's Runnin' Scared

2)Should Hollywood stars really be allowed to adopt children from the 3rd world?

Only if they're definitely orphaned AND are special needs children that won't stand a chance without the intervention of a wealthy person. Angelina Jolie's latest still has a living parent. Were this a child needing surgery or special adaptability items (leg braces, wheelchairs, whatever) to thrive, then yes. Vanity adoptions? No. There are a hell of a lot of kids in the US that need adopting. Choose a few and move on. Donate money to all the orphanages you can, but don't go baby shopping somewhere so you can remove a child from it's heritage. (It's not just celebrities. Well-to-do Americans adopt Chinese baby girls like there was a huge store full of them just down the street.)

3)Do you have brothers and sisters?

I have 2 brothers, 8 and 12 years younger than me. My sister (18 months older) died at age 20.

Baby brother was born exactly one week before my 12th birthday. I'd wanted a dog, but accepted the kid instead.

=======================

1] For the perfect sandwich (hot, cold, burger, whatever)...what do you need to make it? Everything on it, all details, please.

2] If you could become a fictional character and live part of that character's life, what character (and what story/book)?

3] Choose you three favorite singers, bands, or musical "acts" {operas, symphonies, whatever) for your All-Time Favorite Concert. (Can be deceased or living.) What songs/ compositions would you want to hear?

This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Warning! :offtopic:

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 03, 2006, 06:13:03 AM
Well-to-do Americans adopt Chinese baby girls like there was a huge store full of them just down the street.)

I wonder how much if this is due to the Chinese culture's extreme desire for sons over daughters?

The culture "requirement" to have a son to inherit, coupled with the draconian government's "one child per-- no matter what, even if it dies"

I seem to remember there is a serious problem of
"abort it if it's a girl" and/or abandonment of girl children by otherwise healthy parents.

>:( >:(
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

goat starer

1] For the perfect sandwich (hot, cold, burger, whatever)...what do you need to make it? Everything on it, all details, please.

1 x Ciabatta Loaf
butter
2 x free range eggs (large) fried
4 slices of unsmoked streaky bacon grilled till just turning crispy
17 button mushrooms fried in butter
2 x pork breakfast sausage fried and halved

put all the ingredients in the ciabatta. add salt and pepper. eat. wait for heart attack  :toadfish:

2] If you could become a fictional character and live part of that character's life, what character (and what story/book)?

Jernau Gurgeh from Iain Banks The player of Games. I would just love to find out how Azad is really played!

3] Choose you three favorite singers, bands, or musical "acts" {operas, symphonies, whatever) for your All-Time Favorite Concert. (Can be deceased or living.) What songs/ compositions would you want to hear?

Dubstar would be first a short set from the album disgraceful

Stars
Not Once Not Ever
The Day I see you again

and finishing off with (and here I cheat a little) the Billy Bragg cover St Swithens Day with Mr Bragg

Followed by the Alabama 3 (A3 in the US?) with their usual anarchic mixture of songs. These are the best live act you will ever see and I will be happy so long as the the set includes Mao Tse Tung Said, U Don't Danse 2 Tekno Anymore, Hypo Full of Love, Mansion On The Hill and Hello... I'm Johnny Cash

Finishing off with Radiohead performing their 1997 Glastonbury set

1. Lucky
2. My Iron Lung
3. Airbag
4. Planet Telex
5. Exit Music (For A Film)
6. The Bends
7. (Nice Dream)
8. Paranoid Android
9. Karma Police
10. Creep
11. Climbing Up The Walls
12. No Surprises
13. Talk Show Host
14. Bones
15. Just
16. Fake Plastic Trees
17. You
18. The Tourist
19. High & Dry
20. Street Spirit (Fade Out)

but adding 2+2=5 into the mix somewhere

---------------------------------------------------------

Imagine you were really happy....

1) Where would you be?
2) who would be there?
3) What would you be doing?

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

1. The forest
2. by myself
3. taking pictures
3. Where?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

goat starer

Kanaloa. been looking at your photos and would like to use [img=http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38718036/?qo=25&q=by%3Adorkanese&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps]http://one[/img] to inspire my next - frog hope you dont mind - will pop the result in the Toadfish Art Gallery....

your first question is rather big...

Imagine your ideal life-

1. What is it?

I suppose I would like to be living in a cottage by the sea (west cornwall) with a lot of books, a very good wetsuit, snorkel, surfboard, a good single malt whisky, a big box of paints and a computer. i would like to be working in a job that was important but manageable - (ie. not trying to tackle multiple deprivation in the UKs largest metropolitan Borough). I rather suspect however that this 'ideal' would prove to be ideal for a very short period of time!

2. Who are you sharing it with?

Not sure. I would enjoy a bit of time on my own but you would all be welcome to visit.

3. Where?

oops! answered this one already

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. What could you not live without?
2. What are your superstitions?
3. How did you find your way to the Monastery and what keeps you here?

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Chatty

1. What could you not live without?
http://www.sandostatin.com/index.html And Dan, to buffer my life, to prevent the draining of my energy, to care for me.

2. What are your superstitions?
Pretty much, none, outside the conventional theatre ones. (Whistling, mentioning the Scottish play, etc.) I'm just really not a superstitious person, as superstition is caused by the distrust of the unknown, and I know for a fact that it's not the unknown that should scare you, it's what and who you DO know.

3. How did you find your way to the Monastery and what keeps you here?

From TOP/Koom Valley, after the first (possibly) Annual Passive/Agressive Lies and Halftruths Psychosis Festival, I stayed in touch with some of the people I care for, and suddenly, so many more of the people I care for were here!!

What keeps me here is the knowledge that you can care about, respect and even grow to love friends that you've never seen. One friend's (abusive) now-ex-husband used to tease her about her 'invisible friends'. It's amazing how visible those friends became when she needed us.... Internet friends are not invisible, really. They're just not right here physically, but they're in your heart.

============================

1) What current children's toy would you really like to have? (If you can Google it up, give a link!)

2) What "everybody loves..." song that everybody's supposed to love do you just not like? (Seasonal or not.)

3)What is your favorite dessert?

Carl Ne the Shoeman

I always liked the Creepy Crawlers Oven thing. http://www.jakkspacific.com/images/creepy_crawlers.jpg

All Christmas carols with few exceptions. I got sick of them long ago when I had to suffer through them for two months while my sister played that on the radio and NOTHING ELSE.

Anything that has to do with cake, icecream, cannolis, cheescake...or a combination of said.

===============================

What's something really stupid, but funny that you did whilst a young, mislead Youth?

Did you ever want to be a priest just for the tax break?

Did you ever wonder if you COULD reenact the whole "Shooting Apple of your HEad" thing? Ever try it?

goat starer

CNtS. Nice to see you here in the merry band!

----------------------------------------------

What's something really stupid, but funny that you did whilst a young, mislead Youth?

oh blimey this is a toughie. Where do we start. Blowing up my mums garden fence with a homemade petrol bomb? various illegal activities? but I will settle for a stupid thing I did not quite do but was about to.....

In Birkenhead there was an ASDA (think supermarket now part of Walmart). This supermarket had a rooflop carpark with one straight, steep ramp from the forecourt. Whilst a trifle inebriated I and a few other friends pushed another mate to the top (at his instigation) in one of the notoriously unstable supermerket trolleys. Poised on the edge and about to send the unfortunate chap to certain doom / A&E we saw headlights start up the ramp. A police car pulled up next to us, would down the window and simply said "I don't think that is a very sensible idea. Do You?". Immediate clarity followed.

Did you ever want to be a priest just for the tax break?

Nope. lapsed as a catholic at 13 (pandering to papist terminology there. I do not think I lapsed as it implies I might come back!).In a work ice breaker I was picked out as person most likely to have been a priest (bizarrely). Oh and my father was a Benedictine Monk.

Did you ever wonder if you COULD reenact the whole "Shooting Apple of your HEad" thing? Ever try it?

Obviously I COULD (I might get through quite quarrels and a few small boys before succeeding). Never tried it although I was once knockled out by a friend whilst renacting Starwars with large planks of wood.

-----------------------------------------------

What makes you Laugh?

What makes you Cry?

Do you live in the past, present or future?

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Sibling Chatty

What makes you Laugh?

This I was once knockled out by a friend whilst renacting Starwars with large planks of wood. for a start. Absolute laugh out loud, wake-the-dog kind of laugh. The fun stuff my friends do and say.

What makes you Cry?

Pain. Hurts. Things I cannot fix for other people. My Mama...

I'm not really adept at telling the difference. Now is affected by then, and it has everchanging effect on all tomorrows. that's why I think that I try to be as kind as possible when I can, and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes, I just can't.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 13, 2006, 10:03:46 PM
What makes you Laugh?

This I was once knockled out by a friend whilst renacting Starwars with large planks of wood. for a start. Absolute laugh out loud, wake-the-dog kind of laugh. The fun stuff my friends do and say.

What makes you Cry?

Pain. Hurts. Things I cannot fix for other people. My Mama...

I'm not really adept at telling the difference. Now is affected by then, and it has everchanging effect on all tomorrows. that's why I think that I try to be as kind as possible when I can, and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes, I just can't.

--------

1) Favorite kind of pet?

2) Do you have siblings?

3) What were you doing the first time you can remember realizing that life is finite?

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on December 13, 2006, 10:06:47 PM
1) Favorite kind of pet?

2) Do you have siblings?

3) What were you doing the first time you can remember realizing that life is finite?

1. Cats, by far. I love dogs, but I don't have the attention span for them.

2. Yes, two blood, and four step.

3. When I was about seven, we moved from central texas to our current city, and we were driving though the desert of Arizona. Beautiful area, and I was remembering my great grandfather's funeral.
==========================
1. Favorite baked good/pastry?
2. Favorite book?
3. Stupidest thing you've ever done/said