News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by Bluenose, May 07, 2012, 05:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

I have recently tried a couple of new recipes, the first one is mine, the second is one I was given:

Dead easy peanut butter biscuits (cookies for the USians)

1 egg
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup small dark chocolate bits

Beat the egg, mix all the other ingredients in with a wooden spoon (takes no time at all)

Spoon out small lumps of the mixture (about 2-3 cm or 1 inch across) and roll in your hands until they make smooth balls.  Place on baking paper on a flat oven tray, leaving room to spread.  Squash down slightly with a fork until about 1.5 cm (½ inch) thick.  Bake in a moderate oven 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool and enjoy!

Super easy fruit cake

Start 2 days before you want to eat it.

1 kg (2.2 lb) mixed dried fruit
600 ml (1 US pint + ½ US Cup) chocolate flavoured milk
1 cup self raising flour

Place the fruit in a largish container with a lid and pour in the chocolate milk.  Push down the fruit so that it is all in the milk, cover and put in the refrigerator over night.  Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until well combined but do not over mix.  Place in a greased and lined cake tin about 20 -23 cm (8-9 in) accross.  Bake in a moderate oven for about 1½ hours, until a skewer comes out clean.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 30 mins or so before removing from tin.  Best if wrapped in aluminium foil for a day or so before eating.  Delicious!

---
Edit: that would be crunchy peanut butter
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

pieces o nine

Quote from: Bluenose on May 07, 2012, 05:45:06 AM
Dead easy peanut butter biscuits (cookies for the USians)

1 egg
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup cruchy peanut butter
1/3 cup small dark chocolate bits

Beat the egg, mix all the other ingredients in with a wooden spoon (takes no time at all)

Spoon out small lumps of the mixture (about 2-3 cm or 1 inch across) and roll in your hands until they make smooth balls.  Place on baking paper on a flat oven tray, leaving room to spread.  Squash down slightly with a fork until about 1.5 cm (½ inch) thick.  Bake in a moderate oven 180°C (350°F) for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool and enjoy!
My Fellow Americans:  what is caster sugar?    ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bluenose

Hmm.  Not sure whether Po9 is joking or not :-*, but just in case, caster sugar is a form of granulated sugar that has smaller grains than regular white sugar.  If not available, I am sure plain white sugar would work just fine.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

pieces o nine

Truly, I didn't know what it was.

Now, I do.

Any other "dead easy" recipes you want to share?    ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Bluenose

Extremely Delicious Chicken Parcels

per person:

1 Chicken thigh fillet
2-3 pitted prunes
1-2 slices prosciutto

Pre-made Hollandaise sauce.

Open out the thigh fillets, and place the prunes in the middle.  Roll up and then wrap with the prosciutto.  Bake in a moderate oven (either fan forced or with both top and bottom elements on) for about 35 minutes.  When nearly done heat some of the Hollandaise and then pour over the chicken when serving.  Serve with jacket baked potatoes and asparagus.

I made this up when I was on my recent holiday to Kangaroo Island.  I've made it a couple of times since I've been back.   Get the best prosciutto that you can.

pieces o nine

WendyH

Risotto – serves 2 people

This is a "one pot" dish, simple to produce.   You can add chopped meat [chicken, lamb, bacon or ham], fish, prawns, chopped hard boiled eggs or even your favourite vegetables, finely chopped, as you prefer.

•   2 medium leeks finely chopped OR  1 chopped onion
•   175 g risotto or paella rice
•   1 lt chicken or vegetable stock
•   1 small glass of white wine or vermouth
•   1 heaped tbs of mascarpone/ 25g [1oz] grated cheese
•   Handful of grated parmesan
•   Some butter/fat
•   Salt and pepper to season

1.   Melt half the butter/fat in a saucepan [or frying pan with lid]
2.   Add the chopped leeks with a pinch of salt and gently soften.
3.   Add the remaining butter/fat
4.   Add the rice and gently stir for a couple of minutes.
5.   Slowly add the stock, stirring all the time.
6.   Lower the heat till it is just simmering and put the lid on, leave for 10 minutes.
7.   Add the chopped meat or extra vegetables and stir in the wine/vermouth.  Return the lid to the pan and leave for about 3 minutes – until all the liquid has been taken up.
8.   Add the mascarpone or cheese and stir through, then take off the heat and serve.

Risotto Balls

•   A quantity of cold risotto
•   Packet of Mozzarella cheese
•   Breadcrumbs [2slices of bread]

1.   Cut the cheese into small cubes [1cm]
2.   Take 1 tablespoon of risotto and bring it around the cheese cube to make a ball.
3.   Roll the ball in breadcrumbs so it is fully covered.
4.   Place on a greased baking tray.

When you have a used up all the risotto, place the baking tray in a hot oven [gas mark 4, 180oC] for ten minutes.

Serve with salad hot, or keep to eat cold later.

Signature under construction!

Opsa

Sounds lovely, Wendy! Will you be our Toadfish Julia Child?

pieces o nine

Yay! New HOT recipies!    :meal: