News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Boat Race

Started by Sibling DavidH, April 02, 2010, 02:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 05, 2010, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on April 05, 2010, 01:23:36 AM
Now this is a boat race!
Are they rowing on sand?

All the water in Australia has alligators in it. Some Aussies have never touched the stuff. Even if that is better than what the Thames has in it.

The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Terry Pratchett had it in The Lost Continent too, where it gets spoiled by water unexpectedly interfering.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 05, 2010, 01:17:33 PM
Are they rowing on sand?

Well, rowing is probably not quite the right word!

Quote from: beagle
All the water in Australia has alligators in it. Some Aussies have never touched the stuff. Even if that is better than what the Thames has in it.

This is after all the land where "rivers run dry or ten feet high".  Anyway, water is filthy stuff, you never know what fish may have been doing in it.  Better by far to stick to beer.  BTW, they're crocodiles, not wimpy little aligators...

Quote from: Swatopluk
Terry Pratchett had it in The Lost Continent too, where it gets spoiled by water unexpectedly interfering.

Indeed, since its inception , Henley on Todd has only ever been cancelled on those few occasions when the Todd River had water in it. 
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling DavidH

We lost again today, having won last year.  But OMFSM, what a way to lose!
We were strong favourites and were barely ahead around the halfway mark, when some clown swam in front of the boats and stopped the race.  The umpire took about half an hour to organise a restart.  Next the two boats came so close together that they clashed and an Oxford oar was broken.  The cox appealed but the umpire refused to stop the race and so with only seven oars, we lost by a huge margin.  Then after the finish one of our crew collapsed and was taken to hospital.

Cambridge were held to have officially won but there were no celebrations and no presentation.

The umpire claims Oxford were off-station and were warned twice before the clash (true) but note that he is a Cambridge man who rowed in three losing Cambridge crews.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rowing/17645929

Roland Deschain

^ Sore loser? :D Seriously though, I didn't watch it, but from what you describe there, it sounds as if it was one of the weirdest years. I keep meaning to pop down to Chiswick one year and find a nice pub to watch from, but I never do. It's a shame it doesn't come as far as Kew Bridge, as there's a lovely little pub right by the river there.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Griffin NoName

What a fiasco. Quite ashamed of winning :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Oxford won in a classic race.  Very little pushing and shoving went on after last year's disaster.  Before last year it had been getting nastier and nastier, but this was a fair race and Cambridge rowed gallantly  despite never being in front at any stage.