News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

And further digging tells me that alizarin is also known as madder lake.

Last double Post

red madder?
red meadow
redmeadow
red maddow
redmaddow
meadowred
lake meadow
lake madder
lake maddow
meadowlake
meadow lake
madderlake
madder lake
maddowlake
maddow lake
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Swato, you've left the correct botanical family for the rhizome and appear to be wandering in the meadow now (although you are unexpectedly close to the answer, and 'madder' may be a considered a clue itself).  Betel (areca) nut is correct as an ingredient in the substitute, however. Both ingredients in the substitute are edible, but are not eaten in this context - consuming the original material instead of the substitute would be very unwise. 

A few clues for Zono, to catch up:

There's an art & furniture gallery in your geographical area that goes by the same name as the LPWBW.

Presuming your knowledge of modern American rock music is sharper than Swato's, a band noted for wearing masks received a Grammy nomination for a song titled the same as the LPWBW in the last five years.  They didn't win that year*, but took the Grammy for their genre the subsequent year for a different song. A Boy Scout would easily be able to produce the band's namesake.

*they lost to a long-running British band whose lead singer has reportedly bedded over 1000 women - not the Rolling Stones. This band's best-known song's title concerns a particular playing card.

Last confused by the convolutions yet? Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Something to do with Coconut Grove?

Last my musical knowledge for pop music goes up to the 90s Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Btw there is a rock(?) band by the name of Madder Lake.

Last !!! LAST POST WORD BINGO WINNER !! Post

Edit: I thought that stuff was derived from crushed lice (kermes vermilio)

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 18, 2009, 05:10:42 PM
Something to do with Coconut Grove?

No coconuts.

You might get results mucking through Grammy winners with Boy Scout (or sailor) skills in mind.  The gallery is in Miami, but that's a long shot. The Brit band mentioned would fall within your time-scope (started in 1975 and has had a few top-40 hits in Britain, maybe the US), but they are more hard rock than pop. It's still a few connections away from the answer, in any case, so I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Last Post

Never mind.... Swato just took it.  I'd like to see what the process was....  he could have approached this from a few angles.  My bet would have been on mercury and sulphur, as the 'one half vs. one-seventh' clue was a reference to stochiometric ratios vs. molar masses. I tried to keep the chemistry as non-explicit as possible, though, and I figure he actually got it via the Rose Madder page with the colour palette at the bottom.

I avoided alchemy and illuminated manuscripts on purpose. ;)

Sindoor is often made of vermillion, but a substitute is made from turmeric and burnt betel nut. Turmeric and sulphur are similar in appearance when powdered.

Music clues: The Grammy-nominated band was Slipknot (hence Boy Scout skills), for V e r m i l l i on in 2005; the winning British band was Motorhead, known for their hit "The Ace of Spades". They took the Grammy for "Whiplash" in 2005.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I'd never have got it from any of the clues. :mrgreen:

Last awaiting Swato's LPWB Word Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Must think about it first

Interestingly the German wikipedia was much more helpful in finding the right clues.

Last Post

OK, I sent Griffin a new one.
Do you need some or do you happen to live there? (that's a clue)

Aggie

I checked the Spanish version, but Bermellon wasn't any easier to clue to. ;)

Last I don't need Vermillion, but I know someone from there (AB).  I do have some powdered betel nut and turmeric at home. Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Those clues have left me red.

Last where and what Post

Aggie

LOL, "red herring" actually wasn't one. ;) ;) ;)

Admittedly, I could not find clues that did not depend on serious wiki-fu. Which is part of the reason I started the new game - skills training for LPWB.

Last so post a path, will ya! Post

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Gimme a moment, so far it has proved a bit longer to do on office hours ;)

Last the limits of procrastination Post

Swatopluk

That it had something to do with colour was immediately obvious, so 'red herring' was no distraction.
The plants yielded immediately that it had to be some kind of chemical substance or a phonetic similarity to one
The German wikipedia yielded the first plant as an example for rhizomes (iirc the English did not) and the betel nut was easy (I also remembered that it tended to permanently dye the mouth of regular eaters.
Then I got stuck because of lacking two-sided wikipedia links and then because I believed that it had to be something with madder.
The rock music hint was directly googleable (grammy + masks + band) =>discography =LPWB.
---

The new LPWB can hit your head, although a collection of LPWBs is proverbially a protection for it (at least in German).

Last Post

Aggie

LOL, shot myself in the foot with that Slipknot reference, then. ;)

I was also prepared to offer a clue regarding bark-based spices and drinking establishments (=cinnabar), if necessary.  Madder coincidentally worked as a clue for mercury (hatters), although the Rose Madder page you pulled up had Vermillion sitting clearly at the bottom.

Last Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

New LPWB word is IN.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I'll wait a bit for guesses before I clue further.
Meanwhile let that minstrel camel entertain you

http://kamelopedia.mormo.org/images/thumb/9/9d/Camel.jpg/180px-Camel.jpg

Last is that racist? Post