News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Would Kiyo know that song?

Last where is that old chap? Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

LOL, you've missed the clue, I think - the song is not important, although it's reputedly filthy, so if it did exist in Czech, I bet Kiyo would know it.

Last I suppose I should buck up and solve the damned thing instead of putting multiple clues in a post - I'm a thistle in Swato's footPost
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Looks like Agujim knows the word. Let's see if anyone else steps on it.

Last Ninjas Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

In the meantime, I'll take the

Last Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm picturing something like a bear trap or something of the sort with bolts and nuts to keep it together, but I have the feeling it's the type of word I wouldn't be using on a regular basis.

Last second language handicap applies Post

Swatopluk

Actually no moving parts but your guesses go into the right direction.
Agujim hints at a plant that may have been the inspiration for the device.
Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

flytrap, birdtrap, is it a trap?

Last entrapped Post

Aggie

No moving parts, and while it could be perceived as a 'trap', you need to read the 'trap' clue more carefully; my spelling was imprecise in that post on purpose (twice).

Last trip, trap, trop Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Hang on I am lost. Aggie knows it but isn't saying it?

Last sleep-soddened Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 02, 2009, 05:08:29 PM
I have the feeling it's the type of word I wouldn't be using on a regular basis.

Last second language handicap applies Post

I admit to previously knowing the word - general interest in guerrilla tactics, perhaps? Not sure the second language excuse cuts it, because it's latin-derived and not a 'proper' english word (just checked into it and the term is wildly different in the various European languages - several might be better clued in using avian clues, but the botanical clues given suffice nicely for the spanish version).

Oddly, I considered and discarded the word briefly a few times before guessing it; I was vaguely aware of the larger concrete version but didn't quite recall/clue in on the smaller metal version of the object.  Both are used passively in warfare with similar objectives, against different targets.

Last yep, know it - will try my hand at cluing but the countdown is on Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

caltrop c a l t r o p

W.

T.

F.

??

And you expected me to even know that word? Even the Spanish word used is completely foreign to me!! Latin root my @$$!!!

Last am I the only one using guessable words for the LPWB? Post

Swatopluk

If you know the word in one language then you can use wikipedia to switch between languages.
Quick explanation of clues:
usually tetrahedral (often made from 4 nails solded together). Plato symbolized fire (=hot) with the tetrahedron. At his time the item was used in battles between Greeks nad Persians (e.g. at Gaugamela).
The (innocent) main suspect in Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal is named Charles Calthrop.
The waternut (trapa natans, water cal.trop) was possibly the inspiration for the device (and maybe even the source for the word trap in English).

Aggie

As for the 'trials and tribulusions' - Tribulus is the genera name of a plant called the caltrop, with tire-puncturing nutlets, and also was a latin name for the weapon.

Large concrete caltrops were used as anti-tank barriers in WWII; similar metal devices (non-tetrahedral) were known as Czech Hedgehogs (btw, the "Hedgehog Song" is a Pratchett reference).

Last why guess? it's all in the clues, with the googling and the wiking and the hooooyven-glaaaaaaaven Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

How did you actually find it (in concrete terms, 'google' is a wee bit imprecise)?. The first clues were quite obscure.

Last Post
http://www.botanik.uni-karlsruhe.de/garten/fotos-knoch/Trapa%20natans%20Gewoehnliche%20Wassernuss%203.jpg

:offtopic: A new business idea:  :mrgreen:
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/142383/atheist_group_offers_to_take_care_of_christians%27_pets_after_the_rapture/

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I had to selectively google within wikipedia. The first out-of-my-vocabulary word that came up was culvert, but that didn't made sense. Given some red herrings (made out of dung?) I'll keep checking for words you don't learn in ESL...

Last gimme a while to think a word easier to clue than my last one Post