News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Chatty

Relax, it's over, quit hypersecreting!!

Doctor? Doctor!! Wow, and I know you when you were just another stone head...  ;)

:woot: :woot: :woohoo: :woohoo: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :rockon:

Last Doctor Swato, if you please! Post
This sig area under construction.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 07, 2008, 08:42:30 PM
But the cost! If I had had the question to answer who was the largest producer of hydrochloric acid at the moment I would have had to answer that it was my stomach. I actually felt it creeping up the esophagus.
and I ate some antacide literally seconds before the exam started

I always went into exam season with a pocketful of caffeine tablets and antacids (the latter to combat the excess HCl induced by the former). 

(never had much use for ant-killers, though)

Last nit-picking Swato's spelling for some reason today Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Doctor Swato sounds pretty scarey.

Last Congratulations and we'll let you off double-posting just this once Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Last just got home, but some dratted idiot is complaining "it's hot" probabily due to great dirty filters and nothing else....... now I've got to go put my shoes back on and go out in this heat Post
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Thank guys (and guyinas ;) )!
Looking into the modification wishes of the 2nd reviewer of the thesis, there will be some work to do. She seems to be extremly nitpicky, e.g. demanding a proof that the contergan case is indeed the most notorious case of the different effect of s- and r- enantiomers. Whateverhigherbeingdamn! It's about the only case that became in any way "popular", i.e. widely known to non-experts*. Or I used a graphic from wikicommons (not to proof anything but as a simple illustration) and get informed that anything wiki is non-citable in any form.
Well, there are people that consider encyclopedias in general as insufficiently reliable.

Last more pH buffer please Post

*quick: name 3 other cases everyone knows about  >:(
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

Last  more evidence that it's not what you know, it's who you know  Post.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 08, 2008, 10:02:52 AM
*quick: name 3 other cases everyone knows about  >:(

Diastereoisomers, maybe (Vitamin E comes to mind) - enantiomers, not so much. And I've been taught about enantiomers.  'Notorious' seems like the correct word for thalidomide. 

Last good luck Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Last I send her a detailed catalogue of questions Post

Aggie

Ah, the most satisfying way to deal with nitpickers....  question overkill to determine EXACTLY what they want to see.  Some nitpickers actually enjoy the process, but at least the nitpicking becomes preemptive.

Last do they eat the nits they pick? Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Should be a good protein source. But the chitin is difficult to digest.

Last btw, the German (rough) equivalent to nitpicker translates as raisin-shitter* Post

*I think the Erbsenzähler (pea counter) is originally English

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 08, 2008, 08:27:13 PM
...btw, the German (rough) equivalent to nitpicker translates as raisin-shitter...

*I think the Erbsenzähler (pea counter) is originally English

Last  :ROFL: Post
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

If some folk didn't have all those nits to pick, their very reason to get up in the morning would vanish.

I pity them.

Last pity Post
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

What's worse: lice or vice*?

Last and mice Post

*excluding Cheney

Griffin NoName

I tend to assume that nitpicking is a sign that they can't actually find anything to criticise. Or they themselves have "Status Anxiety".

Last intellectual crap Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Depends on the mixture. Complaints about obsolete claims are completely justified.
The problem is to be up-to-date in a fast changing environment as biochemistry* given the subscription fees for the relevant journals. It is like claiming that Helmut Kohl is the CDU candidate for the German chancellorship because the available printed encyclopedia says so and all newspapers that could claim otherwise (by virtue of being more up-to-date) would be behind prescription walls beyond your financial abilities.

Last if we'd follow the polls in the US there was this WW2 going on in 2004 with the main military operations taking place in Vietnam. There must have been a peace or truce for the former but fighting still goes on for the latter Post

*anything is obsolete before it reaches the stage of "printed in a book" (and even more so before the library actually acquires the book)