News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

No more hints before some serious guesses are made.

Last this post does not contain hints Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Pachyderm

Is it mountebank?

Last but I don't see how one of them would help with Trojan Horses Post
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 26, 2008, 12:10:02 AM
No more hints before some serious guesses are made.

Last this post does not contain hints Post

I don't like guessing wildly, so I generally wait until I think I've got a shot at it.  Nothing yet.

Last Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Greek is the right direction (i.e. the word is derived from Greek). Walls are involved and Homer knew the LPWB (although he would likely not have described it with a single word).
It may be also useful to abuse an English-German dictionary to find the word through the puns.
Last Vluglodsah, Vluglodsah und siehst du nichts dort? Post

Pachyderm

Is it in English? Or German? Or Greek, and used in either of those?

Last trilingual Post

Last through a glass darkly Post

Or was that Plato?

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 26, 2008, 02:42:57 AM
It may be also useful to abuse an English-German dictionary to find the word through the puns.

No thanks, I usually get bawled out for attempting bilingual puns.

Last :P Post
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Quote from: Agujjim
No thanks, I usually get bawled out for attempting bilingual puns.

Last   bilingual joke   Post:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I have friends in the foreign language teaching biz, all of whom twitch at misuse of 'false friends,' 'direct translations' of idioms, that sort of thing. I used to enjoy tormenting one with such lovingly crafted phrases as "¿Dónde están mis vasos de ojos?"  and then laughing hilariously. She always reminded me that she usually charges people to abuse her second language so egregiously.

One day we met a colleague of hers, a German teacher. Satan inflamed me with an inspiration to attempt a pun on Kennedy's famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" by substituting the name of the first alternate German pastry that came to my mind. As is my wont, I laughed modestly at my own joke. (In the words of Miss Piggy, "Other people may try to appreciate you, but they so often fall short.")

The German teacher did not laugh appreciatively with me. He blanched, excused himself, and sidled away. My polyglot friend gave me her long-suffering foreign language teacher look. Apparently, what I actually said -- in very, very  poor German -- was *not* a clever pastry joke, but something to the effect that I wanted to eat his legs...

I was thoroughly delighted by this and only wish I had paid better attention to what I was constructing, as she refused to remind me. One never knows when it might come in handy, delivered with absolute deadpan, under the right circumstances. Such as meeting the Holy Father, on his next US visit -- after I've been re-catholicized by my mother -- perhaps...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My previous attempt at German comedy was more successful, although still grammatically suspect. Same friend and I were at Barnes & Noble in the foreign language dictionaries, entertaining ourselves yet again with the "Learn to Speak X in just 1 minute a day!" type books. I was inspired to create a trendy, high fashion magazine with a German title. It was one long, sonorous, polysyllabic word and I was very proud of it. It literally meant something like "The Premier Magazine for the Women Who Wish to Set the Men on Fire."

Close enough.  ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Word totally Greek, noun with 4 syllables. First syllable is also a German word, so a layperson could misunderstand it as "looking at (or into) small lakes"

Last Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput. Post

Griffin NoName

I am so glad I don't have to guess.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Last it's ALL Greek to ME Post

Damn those Americans with their quick belief that ONLY English is spoken by anyone....  ::) ;D

Pachyderm

Varangian

Last walls of Miklagard Post

Swatopluk

Shakespeare knew it very well too. Otherwise he couldn't have afforded to stage his plays.

Last Joshua fit the Battle of Jericho Post