News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on November 01, 2006, 07:33:16 PM
Nope, not Canada.  Not Quebec either.   :)

The clues so far:

- it's a place
- part of something that used to be three, now it's two (but the LPWB word itself used to be two, and is now one)
- when the three things became two things, it was by two of the things combining together
- the three things became two things through a physical process, not a political one; this happened between AD 1000 and 2000
- it's a real place, but it is very close to the mouth of Hell (specifically, the Mouth of Hell actually lies between the LPWB word and a Saint)
- smaller than Texas
- they use the Euro there, but it's not in Europe
- Aggie probably has an advantage over the rest of you at guessing this, but it's not in Canada
- it was attacked by the British during the American Revolution, but is not, and has never been, part of the United States
- it was controlled by the Axis forces for part (but not all) of World War II
- it IS a place - an actual place.  You can find it in any world atlas, and people still live there.
- it's not between Canada and Greenland
- the LPWB word is also a common first name for a person, but in an uncommon European language (Basque)
- if you swim straight north from the LPWB word, when you hit land they may make you kiss a fish (a cod, in fact!)
- the three things became two things in the 18th century
- the only public execution by guillotine to ever occur in North America did not happen in the LPWB word, but was very close nearby (i.e. a few miles away)
- when the LPWB was controlled by the Axis powers in WWII, it was under control of Vichy France
- According to the musical group Great Big Sea, there isn't that much ocean in the area where the LPWB word is
- it was easier to sail your fortune from the LPWB word during Prohibition.  At one point, Al Capone was fond of the area.
- the LPWB word is in North America

Another couple of clues (well, clues to clues more than clues to the LPWB word):

- kissing a cod is part of a ritual called "getting screeched in" that is popular with the tourists in a certain area, i.e. the place where you would hit land if you swam due north from the LPWB word (if you didn't get hypothermia in the process - it's not that far, but it's cold water)
- "the Mouth of Hell" was given its name by sailors and fishermen
- the Saint on the other side of the Mouth of Hell from the LPWB word was the one on which the church was built, according to the Bible (though in this case, his name is not in English)

Last I've probably given it away now Post

Heh, never been screeched in, but every Canadian pirate knows of Screech, don't they?  Last time I was drinking Screech with people from it's homeland, they were pulling faces at shooting it.  I was sipping and enjoying it.  ;D

Last Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Making faces at shooting Screech?  Why would they do that?   ;D

I know, not that kind of Screech.

Last got it yet?  Even an inkling?  Post

Aggie

:inky: :inky: :inky: :inky: :inky:

Hehe, I've no time for giving clues on a new one.
Hasn't stopped me from giving clues on this one.  ;D

Last Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Does that mean someone got the old one and I don't have to check the Atlas? The straits next to Trinidad is called the Dragon's Mouth. Would come near the gates of hell.
Last Post

I will check the Atlas anyway
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

The Meromorph

Could it be !!! LAST POST WORD BINGO WINNER !!?
Last Post

Oh shit oh dear! I don't want it. Anyone else want to give a new word?
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aha!  It's yours now!   ;D

The word was M i q u e l o n

It's an island.  Along with St-Pierre, it makes up the French territory of St-Pierre & M i q u e l o n, which is just off the south coast of Newfoundland, Canada.

It was originally three islands (the third is called Langlade), but in the 18th century, a sandbar formed between M i q u e l o n and Langlade, forming a land bridge.  The strait between M i q u e l o n and St-Pierre is known as "the mouth of Hell", after its very strong currents and inordinate number of shipwrecks.

"M i q u e l o n" is the equivalent to "Michael" in the Basque language.

After the French announced their support for the American Revolution, the British attacked the islands and held them for some time, probably thinking that they could be used as a stepping-stone for French military support in the war. 

It was used as a base for bootleggers during American Prohibition, and was visited by Al Capone.  The islands experienced a boom during this period, and a depression when Prohibition was repealed.

It was controlled by Vichy France for the early part of WWII, but then changed hands to Free France in 1941.

The Great Big Sea clue referred to their song "Boston and St. John's" (which is the first link that comes up in Google if you search for "Great Big Sea" and "isn't that much ocean", the terms I italicized), which has the lines:

And it's true I must be going,
But I swear it won't be long.
There isn't that much ocean
Between Boston and St. John's.
But I'm a rover and I'm bound to sail away.
I'm a rover, can you love me anyway?

Last whew - that took a while Post

The Meromorph

I've sent the new word to Sibling NoName...
Clues will be forthcoming once it's in.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized I can do it myself! ::)

First clue: One word, Four syllables.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

Heh, and one can catch a ferry from St. Pierre to Fortune, Newfoundland these days.  ;)

Last Post
WWDDD?

The Meromorph

Second clue: It's a musical instrument.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Quote from: Agujjim on November 01, 2006, 09:36:30 PM
Heh, and one can catch a ferry from St. Pierre to Fortune, Newfoundland these days.  ;)
But I can't, apparently, when I've gone too long without coffee.   ;D

As for the LPWB, my guess is....

SAXAMAPHONE!

Last Post

The Meromorph

Third clue: It's from Argentina.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Vita Curator

Wow, one last post word bingo is finished and another started, you guys work fast.

I just read four syllables and a musical instrument as the new clues and was going to guess harmonica, but now that I see the instrument is from Argentina, I must go back to the drawing board.

Last drawing board Post
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Mmmm....left-over chocolate....

Last-post Halloween Post
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

The Meromorph

Fourth Clue: The instrument is polyphonic...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Harmonophone?

Accordian?

Piano-forte? (the original name)

Hammered dulcimer?*

No? rats. ...

Last Post, at least

* no a hammered dulcimer is not someone drunk, playing on a dulcimer ... it's this thing
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)