News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyderm

I didn't take Latin. Or Greek. I did science, despite a deep and abiding fascination with the Classics.  Then I became a biologist, and some rotten sod decided to give organisms scientific names in Latin and Greek. Why was I not warned! My school have failed me! Curses and naughty words...

Last born out of my time Post
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I don't regret anything...

Last but I fear gnome Post

I'm back..

Griffin NoName

I regret not being able to find the Catullus poem about Lesbia's roof which my latin teacher told us was hilarious when we were about 12 years old.

Last never throw away old school exercise books before you are old enough to understand them Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Be warned that a Latin teacher's idea of hilarity might not necessarily correspond to yours, but just in case be cautious.

Last let us know if you find the poem Post
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

I wonder why that name for a girl has become so unpopular ;D
Actually, I am repeatedly surprised what names some parents give their children. Do they not know some connotations or do they rely on others not knowing them? I know that there was a child named Lucifer on the Christian grammar school I attended. Yes, I know that "bringer of light" is nothing to be ashamed of but most people think of other connections. Btw, is Lucy the female form ;)?

Last what's in a name Post

I know Asian children that don't use the translated form of their name around here because they fear to be laughed at even if the original form is (for us) almost unpronouncable.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Mercedes was a girls' name once I understand, until a proud dad named his car after his daughter.
And wasn't there a character in one of the Thomas Hardy novels whose parents got confused and named him Cain?

You'd think the vicar at the baptism might have talked them into Wayne or Kevin instead.

Last no news about his brother Post

Swatopluk

In the past France had a rather short list of allowed names.
In Germany it was on a case by case basis and my parents had trouble to get my oldest brother's name the way they wanted it. The official refused to accept Olav (instead of Olaf) and was at first not even swayed by the fact that in Scandinavia that is the default way to write that name. In the end he had to cave though.
Today they are expected to accept about everything with just a few basic conditions (no obvious insults and the sex of the person should be discernable [with a lot of leeway for foreigners]).
So I can't officially name my (not yet existing children) Knaus and Ogino as someone in the US did

Last I could try Siv Phyllis or Nosmo King instead Post

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

I went to school with a fellow whose last name was Hicks.  His parents named him Braxton.

Last I'm sure there was a story there Post

Pachyderm

I was at school with two girls called Iona. Iona Wrench and Iona Parrott.

Last dear god, what were their parents thinking Post
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Did either of them have a sister named Elisa?   ;D

Last Isolde would be even better, but less likely Post

Swatopluk

Fortunately we are beyond naming kids after the 10 commandments. ::)
Last My name is Thou-should-not-commit-adultery Carter Post

beagle

Names best avoided in English include Mike Hunt, and Jennifer Taylor.

Last nameless Post

Griffin NoName

And everyone knows all Australians are called Bruce.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Except the Sheilas

Last are you trying to start a fight? Post

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on October 30, 2007, 11:07:27 PM
Last are you trying to start a fight? Post

Would it be that easy?

Let's say I'm always keen to liven up this thread.

Last it's probably the effect of seeing The Queen and King Abdullah on TV - where's the interesting news gone? Post
Psychic Hotline Host