News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Yes, I don't like the health or financial implications of being able to drink more, UNLESS you know you'll be drinking with more expert drinkers (not a factor for Kiyo!).

Water and enough sleep are the best hangover preventers. 

Interested on the vinegar, though, because that's what alcohol gets oxidised to.  Maybe it's a 'heads up' to your body of what's coming (I am an advocate of having ONE drink a few hours before going out drinking for the same purpose - get the enzymes working).  Do you use plain white vinegar?

Koreans use another technique, too... constant eating when drinking.  Can make for some spicy pukes, though.

Last anyways, my head doesn't hurt today Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

My head hurts without drinking (of the alcoholic variety). I don't think I have any stop-head-hurting cells left.

Last life without migraine pills is no life Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Dan's in Tyler, Texas with no transmission on the car...

I'm in Somerville, with no transmission on the van.

When they disconnect the phone, we'll lose internet access as well, since it's through Verizon.

Not yet, but soon, I may be making my

Last Post. :censored:
This sig area under construction.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Woke up this morning and though I'd pop in while having breakfast.

Quote from: Agujjim on April 01, 2007, 11:35:31 PM
Do you use plain white vinegar?

I don't know. I use the usual vinegar, I never thought about what kind. :)

Last I prefer wine Post

I'm back..

Swatopluk

What effect would an intake of extra ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase) have?
Would it be toxic because the alcohol is oxidized too rapidly and the aldehyde/acid level gets too high or would the effect be beneficial?
Eat it or inject it in the latter case?
[Eating would probably be useless because ADH enzymes are extremly sensitive to non neutral pH values and denature very fast under these circumstances]

Last who let the chemist* in here? Post

*not the owner of the corner shop
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you would switch back to normal alcohol consumption.

Last I'm falling asleep in class Post

I'm back..

Swatopluk

Shutting down this PC for now.
Last Post until later this day.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 02, 2007, 08:32:42 AM
What effect would an intake of extra ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase) have?
Would it be toxic because the alcohol is oxidized too rapidly and the aldehyde/acid level gets too high or would the effect be beneficial?
Eat it or inject it in the latter case?

If the acid levels got too high, you'd be pulling an instant barfer beer unless you did some serious hyperventilating. 

In any case, a drinker would be best served to augment their aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 levels and leave alone (or decrease slightly) the alcohol dehydrogenase levels - cheaper drunk with less hangovers.  I know several people who face the opposite: aldehyde dehydrogenase polymorphism = red face after one drink.

Last R'OH! Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

In the webcomic Questionable Content, the main character gets everyone to drink a glass of water if any of them get tanked (which has happened on  multiple occasions) so I always figured that would be useful.

I know you never really drink wine without food, so why would you drink beer without it? the beer an hour before drinking is something I'd not think of, yet makes perfect sense.

though I'm not too keen on vinegar, still don't quite understand it, or when one is supposed to use it.

I suppose I'll be well-prepared anyway for... seven years later.

last stupid forum where everyone talks about alcohol constantly and I'm underage post
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Aggie

Q, it's less common to eat *large* amounts of food when beer-drinking, simply because the volume of beer consumed is often too filling.  Pub-food tends to be greasy ('defoams' the beer) and salty (increases thirst and replaces lost electrolytes - beer makes you pee LOTS).  Cultures that drink hard alcohol instead of beer tend to go for more substantial anju*.  Personally, I like to pair beer with meals (at home - don't know of many places with equally good food and beer), and drink lesser amounts of better beer than to put down copious amounts of horse-piss - but it happens.

That glass of water is always a good idea - equally important is to START hydrated, so on your 21st birthday, drink your full 8 glasses before going for teh booze.  Oh, and to clarify...  drinking the 'first beer' an hour before will only start the drinking (takes about that long to metabolize) so if I'm using that technique it needs to be a lunch beer or even the night before.

I've also heard that for vodka drinkers, one way to protect your stomach is to eat a large piece of butter before drinking. 

But yeah, there's no rush to drink - random (sober) teenage silliness is much more fun than substance abuse any day, although a little caffeine sometimes helps  ;).  When you do start, learn to enjoy and appreciate small amounts of good stuff rather than take the usual (underage) new-drinker approach of choking down as much of the cheapest stuff possible.

Last footnote:*Korean word for food-that-is-eaten-while-drinking Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

And do not try to make denatured alcohol drinkable. The stuff they put in it today may be less poisonous directly but will not be sufficiently removed by the usual methods.

Last I studied chemistry and I never even tried Post

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 02, 2007, 04:40:12 PM
And do not try to make denatured alcohol drinkable. The stuff they put in it today may be less poisonous directly but will not be sufficiently removed by the usual methods.

What are the adulterants (methanol maybe - benzene is out of vogue this days AFAIK)?  I'm actually more interested at the potential for charcoal filtration to remove unintentional carryovers from high-test 'beverage' grain alcohols like Everclear (not a usual drinking alcohol, but it's the cheap option for several novelty/party projects like jello shooters or yucca flux).

Last Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

In old batches there were pyridine and aniline (easily detectable by smell). Today it can be a wild mix of alcohols, ketones, ethers etc.
Check this for a few more examples (the English equivalent is far less specific).
Anything below the level of chromatography seems pretty useless here.
As I said, don't even try!

Last pure but with taxes is still cheaper Post

Aggie

Methyl-ethyl ketone... ugh!   No, I wouldn't even attempt it (and in any case, possession of lab-grade solvents is likely to get one under investigation for drug manufacture).

I'm not sure that Everclear is much better - plenty of congeners carry over during the distillation process I think (hard to get up to 190 proof!).  I've heard that charcoal filtration can greatly improve the taste and hangover-potential of very cheap vodkas, so I suspect it would be worth it for Everclear as well.

Last or just brew yer own beer Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Where are nanobots when one needs them? They should be perfect in sorting out the unwanted molecules.

Last and they should also work against hangovers Post