News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Since it seems to be primarily the lady pigs that produce the milk (and would lay the eggs) the pork could come from the boars.
Only a few of the latter are necessary alive to inseminate the sows.
Btw why is there no common commerical sows' milk?

Woolsheep also end up eaten as far as I know.
And we all know what happens to chickens.
No idea, whether the wool quality in animals suffers with age or whether there is a difference between rams and ewes in this department.

Last btw, there are woolpigs already: Mangalica Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin

Used to love roe as a child. My mother wasn't adventurous so it was just boiled but good enough for us. Where is that village (it's very high up mountains) where they leave out their dead for the birds to enjoy? I think they reckon life comes full cricle by feeding to "nature". Seems like a plan.

Talking about death, I've been busy giving my sons a flying chance to deal with my affairs when I am ga-ga or dead whichever comes first (a normal funeral will cost not much less than a package trip to deposit my body with the birds on top of the mountain), that's if I haven't spent it all on going to Switzerland. So many choices!

Last lay your bets for how long Charlie will last Post

Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Loving roe is an ambiguous statement.
Do you mean you loved fish eggs or the relatives of Bambi?

Last or did you love roe meat and shot Bambi's mother? Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Time to kill Bambi

Last :devil: Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

According to wikipedia there is a Bambi Horror Movie in the making:

QuoteHorror film
On November 21, 2022, a live-action horror film, titled Bambi: The Reckoning, was announced to be in development for ITN Studios and Jagged Edge Productions with Scott Jeffrey directing and Rhys Frake-Waterfield producing. The film will be about the titular character getting revenge after the death of his mother.[56] The film began principal photography on January 31, 2023, in London, UK.[57]

Last and the author of the original novel is prime suspect of also being the author of one of the most notorious p0rnographic German novels*. Post

*not made into a Disney film yet

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 07, 2023, 03:35:15 PM
Since it seems to be primarily the lady pigs that produce the milk (and would lay the eggs) the pork could come from the boars.
Only a few of the latter are necessary alive to inseminate the sows.
Btw why is there no common commerical sows' milk?

My mistake. I assumed that such a finely engineered animal would be parthenogenic. ;)

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 12, 2023, 09:16:52 PM
the author of the original novel is prime suspect of also being the author of one of the most notorious p0rnographic German novels*.

We don't discriminate between wildlife novels and explicit ones here in Canada.

During covid isolation my running joke was that the only white tail I was getting was whitetail.  :P

Last then they started reporting whitetail deer as vectors Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

The prose is probably un-bear-ably purple.

Last and b(e)aring everything. Truth: laid bear Post

Griffin

Fish eggs.

So many things we ate then which have fallen by the wayside: ox tongue freshly boiled in a huge pan, liver once a week, sheep's heart, ox tail ditto ox tongue boiled, cuts of meat one never sees now mostly from odd parts of the body, brains and more. Tripe I could not stand. When I married we maintained ox tongue and cod's roe but at some point they faded from our menus. At that time I preferred banana curry.

Last the average family now does not know how to eat cheaply by cooking wisely odd bits of flora, fauna, and the less appealing animal parts, at least not here Post
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Oxtail soup used to be very common around here (no idea, whether there are still actual oxtails in it) but has become a bit of a rarity.
Saveloy (Cervelatwurst) used to be made from brain matter (from latin: cerebellum).

Iceland traditionally tries to make anything edible (most famously rotten shark). In the past it was a necessity given that the country used to be extremly food insecure, to-day it's 'tradition' practiced once a year (in combination with very strong spirits to get past the gag factor).

Last as Bismarck said: politics is like sausage. It's better not to know how either is made. Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Back home you can still find many of those cuts with relative ease.

Last but not as much as in the past Post

Swatopluk

Of the Chinese it is said that they eat anything with legs that is not furniture.

Last not that they despise legless animals either as far as food is concerned Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last my wife can attest to that Post

Swatopluk

On the other hand there are Antarean parakeet glands...

I hear there is - in the real world and with noveau riche Chinese heavily involved - a 'rare food' mania that could lead to the extinction of species because nothing is more exclusive than eating the very last specimen of a species* (ideally obtained for huge sums of money and accompanied by a certificate that it's indeed the last or at least among the last 5-10).

*and letting it be known that one has done so

Last I am open to it provided it's some critter containing unremovable toxins without any antidote leading to an agonizing death for the consumer. Paying the piper so to speak. Post

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 22, 2023, 08:43:48 PM
Of the Chinese it is said that they eat anything with legs that is not furniture.

I heard this as "anything with four legs except the table" from a Chinese friend, but now routinely apply it to myself. Also several things with two legs and of course many with fins.

I happen to have an ox tongue in the freezer at the moment, having already eaten the tail and heart (I've never learned to cook or enjoy liver, and prefer organs which are muscle-based). I've been eyeing up bull trout livers, but haven't actually tried one yet. I do like tripe (usually in pho) but haven't attempted to cook it myself as it's quite a procedure to do right. Intestines can be good, provided someone else is doing the cleaning and cooking....  I avoid nervous system material as much as possible, as I'm paranoid of prions, but will risk it for oxtail.

Oxtail has gotten hideously expensive and hard to find here, as I'm convinced that we immediately ship most of it out to countries who traditionally got sent the 'cheap' cuts and still appreciate them. Ironically, it can be had fairly cheaply from premium-grade small producers who are mostly profiting from selling organic steak to the bougies, where it's still considered an off-cut. It makes the best beef soup. I love braising out a tough cut with lots of connective tissue.

There are some weird market distortions with regards to meat. The one I find the strangest is that all but the very cheapest of processed meats (chicken wieners) are more expensive than good, fresh cuts on a per-gram basis.... sometimes more than reasonably good beefsteak.

The industrial versions of what we call bologna or wieners/hot dogs generally contain considerable pink slime and mystery meat content unless they are made by a small butcher (where the good ones are usually called "European wieners") so I can never bring myself to buy them, even though it's a traditional food for roasting over a camp fire.  It's difficult to understand because these are often considered poverty foods, but you'd be poorer in pocket as well as health for choosing them over chicken legs or pork chops.

As for flora... I use at least 50 species of wild and naturalized (weedy) plants for food. Spent part of yesterday harvesting thistle roots, and am currently eating a wide selection of wild greens from around the yard.  Went on a bit of a spruce tip daquiri kick earlier this spring, as spruce syrup and dark rum make a lovely pairing. I'm cautiously expanding my fungi roster, think I consume around 8 or 9 species when I can find them now.

As the halls of the Monastery have witnessed, I've spent many year pondering the big questions such as What is the Meaning of Life, Why is There Something Rather than Nothing, and What Happens When We Die? Having found satisfactory personal understanding of these and other perennial ponderings, the big question that I continually wrestle with is Can I Eat It?  ;D

Last my father's side narrowly escaped the Holodomor, so perhaps I come by my food obsessions honestly Post

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I know the 'four legs but the table' version too but it's obvious that this falls short.
And there are few four-legged fish around to begin with.

Edit: living in a big city harvesting herbs is a bit of a problem. Not for lack of them, mind you. But I assume that they are full of toxic pollutants (PAH, heavy metals etc.).

Last Where's the millipede chicken we got promised (iirc in the Journal of Irreproducible Results)? Post