News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 02, 2014, 04:01:19 AMa good quality CD-R should last at least 15 years and potentially last for 200 years

A rather large margin of error.

Last Magna Carta is 700 years old next year Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Almost each 'improvement' in data storage since the invention of writing was a step down in durability.

Well-preserved clay tablets are expected to last 100,000 years or more. That beats even many stone carvings. Parchment/vellum lasts many hundred years, possibly a few thousand. Paper made from textiles just a few hundred years provided a non-aggressive ink was used. Wood-derived paper will decay after a few decades unless treated with rather extreme means (at least before acidic production methods got replaced by a lye-based one) .  Electronic data storage is even worse. Even if the data does not evaporate by itself, it will quickly become unredable because the reading devices and knowledge about the coding disappear.
Celluloid film may last some time but it is an extreme fire hazard (closely related to high explosives chemically and ideally stored accordingly). Modern film tape is less dangerous but also less durable and has to get recopied on a regular base.

I guess in a hundred years we will know less about our age than we now do about the 18th century or even earlier times.

Last mankind's Alzheimer Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Why not transcribe wikipedia into clay tablets?

Last that could be an interesting project Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Wouldn't that need an enslaved workforce now we don't have large numbers of scribes?

Last how to do the links? Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Just 3d print the damned thing out of clay, and laser-fire it on the spot. We've gotten good enough with new technology to have it replicate old technology by now, haven't we?

Last Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I always forget 3d printers. Maybe because they are still too expensive to become household items. And because what I need most is good health and I don't think they can print that.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

They're getting close to the point where they are affordable as household items, although I don't really see the utility for all users quite yet.  They make sense for designers, and there's certainly a case to be made for a family with children, to print toys, plastic tchotchkes, school projects and the like.  "Ink" will likely be the expensive bit, the same as with 2d printers.

Last but soon you'll be able to print a meal Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I insist, hard glass 3D laser-edged is better even than clay tablets.

Last they may last millions of years Post

Aggie

Surely, if clay tablets are that durable, other forms of ceramic must be even better.

Last all fired up Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Quite possible, we just had not yet the chance for long term testing.
With glass it would depend on the storage conditions. High density data inscriptions inside might become unreadable as a result of slow diffusion even with the block itself showing not much degrading/decay. Like a piece of household glass becoming milky when the wrong cleaning fluid is used or stored in it for too long. I am not talking about hydrofluoric acid. A mild lye like a potash or soda solution can have this effect. How far inside the glass the effect goes is just a matter of time.

We need a cheap way to grow large and pure diamond crystals with selective atom replacement for data storage.

Last diamond encyclopedias are a smart girl's best friend Post

Aphos

Yesterday would have been Aunt Dee Dee's birthday.

Last I miss her Post
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Back to storage:
Quote from: Swatopluk on November 03, 2014, 08:42:10 AM
We need a cheap way to grow large and pure diamond crystals with selective atom replacement for data storage.
You could use junk DNA in common bacteria with some redundancy.

Last what kind of bacteria would be your choice Post

Swatopluk

Bacteria exchange genetic information and also are prone to mutation => data corruption.

Last me not trust Post