News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

The thief has given the thief has taken.

Last why did the thief give in the first place? Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

He gives grief.

Last what else? Post

Griffin NoName

I just bought the new Kindle. (reader, not tablet). I can't afford it so I'm not sure why except I use my Kindle every day which is more reason than if I didn't. I shall have to tell myself it is a reward for finishing my MSc (even if I fail it, as have not got marks yet).

Last guilt avoidance therapy Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

They had a bigger one but was clunky and hideously expensive, pity because I think a large epaper device (10-12-14") would be perfect to read music.

Last better for the eyes than a[n also hideously expensive] large tablet Post

Griffin NoName

Actually the new Kindle is slightly smaller than the previous versions.

I considered a tablet but really have no need for the stuff it is designed for, and as you say, a dedicated e-reader is much better for reading (surprise, surprise).

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I still mistrust these electronic thingies even with books by now making it difficult to move through my own room. Material copies don't get deleted so easily by a simple malfunction (or malevolent actor from remote).

Last paper is here to stay Post

----
Candidate for most stupid quote of the week:
Nick Muzin, the deputy chief of staff for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

'Before ObamaCare, there had never been a case of Ebola in the U.S.'
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on November 01, 2014, 08:57:48 AM
Candidate for most stupid quote of the week:
Nick Muzin, the deputy chief of staff for Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

'Before ObamaCare, there had never been a case of Ebola in the U.S.'

:ROFL: :ROFL:

I think paper will  disappear as population grows (if not killed off). There will be no room to have real books in your tiny appartment. We will be packed like sardines.

You can't delete Amazon e-books. They keep them in the Cloud so always available to re-download. They do this with music too. Of course, you have to get over buying from Amazon.

Last killing the real proper book industry Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Distrust in electronic e-tailers will eventually disappear, besides, there are ways to keep your digital copies locally backed up and avoid connecting the devices to the net.

Last the ereader my son uses has all it's books from the Gutenberg Project or bought outside their store and converted Post

Griffin NoName

I suppose I can't be bothered backing up my Kindle  (how? just plug it into laptop?) but realise I may be in danger of Amazon going out of business. But how could that possibly happen!!

Last greed soaked Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You can download the actual ebook, it will remain encrypted but you can move it to a different device.

Last in our case the ereader is from barnes and nobles and we haven't purchased one book from them Post

Griffin NoName

So are your books stored in the cloud at multiple different sites? If so, how to keep track?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

To tell the truth I'm not that anal about it but I could be if that was my wish, I could leave a copy of the files in Dropbox, or Google Drive, or in a copy in a local hard drive (which is where those files are more to do the transfer than to back them up).

Last or burn a copy in a CD/DVD/BD-ROM Post

Griffin NoName

CD/DVD/BD-ROMs wear out eventually so it would depend on your age. Like, maybe a solution for me as in poor health and getting old. ;)  I doubt the cloud will still be there at some point in the future. Why not copy the books out onto stone tablets?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If you are an immortal (vampire, biblically acursed, zombified, elvish or otherwise) the you should look for a location in the middle of a tectonic plate and store data in hard glass with lasers, which should last for millennia if not longer.

Besides that, you should subtract your age from your life expectancy and multiply by two to get the kind of storage you need (which at this point means to find the right optical media)

Last a good quality CD-R should last at least 15 years and potentially last for 200 years Post