News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Sometimes inefficiency is beneficial.

Last but bureaucracy tends to be most effective when its purpose is actually evil Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Presume you could do course work between 10 am and 6 pm? There must be places one can study/write within the university complex/building? Even the library maybe? Worth asking around what other students do.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

The problem is the 'not everything needed in one place'. I am going to spend quite a lot of time in the library. But a lot of things require me to make use of a computer. I do not possess a (really*) portable device or even a smartphone (hey, ANY mobile phone, this modern plague). I work best at home and late in the evening (My normal rhythm is to go to bed at 2 or 3 am). The main PC pool of the university is quite crowded too as you can imagine. I am spending significant amounts of money on textbooks already and even if I was in favour of these portable computer thingies, I'd be rather reluctant to invest in one at the moment. I may be younger than you but I am far more fossilized in my ways (and still resist the ebook putting my faith in paper).

Last Post

*my laptop is to heavy and by now too fragile to carry around

Griffin NoName

I'm still resisting tablets. I have a smart phone and a laptop and a Kindle so what would I need a tablet for? On the other hand, like yours, my laptop is now 100 years old (in laptop years). Yesterday I looked at what Sony had to offer to replace it. Was shocked to find they did not have any new laptops; they had refurbished ones and ones that were discounted as obsolete. I was shocked. I need a bigger screen than tablets have amongst a lot of other needs - but it seems laptops have been phased out. (and that includes "notebooks").

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 18, 2014, 08:38:24 AM
I do not possess .... a smartphone (hey, ANY mobile phone, this modern plague).

Huzzah!  One of the few! 

I have a phone, but a very stupid one - willfully ignorant, this phone - and keep a cell phone because land lines are essentially the same price and do not allow texting.  I prefer written telecommunication to verbal.

Last Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I have almost no use for any phone and prefer communication in person or in writing. I'd say there are whole months were I do not use a phone for myself (just accepting calls for my parents when I hear the ringing first. They are both a bit hard of hearing). My main use of the phone line is for the internet connection.

Last Post

Griffin NoName

I can only manage one or two calls a day, and sometimes none, due to CFS. People just refuse to understand this. It is easier to send an email which I can do in my own time, not having to converse and think about replies, but at present I am not getting replies to some important ones,; I think I am going in the junk boxes, meaning I shall be forced to phone. I deeply resent this. I always check my junk box - people are so lazy.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

The university has (at least officially) a policy of ignoring emails from outside. Can be quite a pain in the long-eared gray mammal, if one wants to become a student and needs specific information from a professor or the like (who will rarely answer the phone or be in his office willing to speak with uninvited strangers). I assume professional communication with other universities etc. is totally run on confidential phone nzumbers and secret private email addresses.

Like software that has to be installed first before the installation instructions can be accessed

Last actual ad on Russian buses: "You are an analphabet and need help? Please call <phone number>" Post

Griffin NoName

I emailed two Professors from my University email account (in my department too) and neither answered. Both on stuff they were actively working on and which was entirely relevant to my own research. I am still somewhat p***d off.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Next steps: send a Fax, try to email their secretaries, try to have another professor forward your emails (so it seems to come from a colleague, not you, in the header).
All those steps should be possible to do from home without you having to do a real-time contact.

Last  Post

Griffin NoName

Too late now for one of them. The other was a fishing trip. Probably not worth the extra effort. I lose my email account soon, I'm not sure when. I only paid fees to end of sept. but I don't graduate until Jan. When my uni email goes the uni will use my home one so I can still login to some services, but if I was a Prof. I'd probably ignore it.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Let's revive British rocket mail

Last Post

Griffin NoName

How?

Last put the wind up 'em Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

My old university had students that constructed a rocket with parts from old washing machines. It used water as fuel and got up several miles when launched.
An updated version of the pressurized water toy rocket one could say.

Last Post

Griffin NoName

Gosh! Whatever will your new university have???

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host