News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I thought the usage of anachronistic measure units was a privilege of the Empire.

Last specially certain colony Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

To measure a horse in hands is also in use in the ex-empire I live in. I think it is international.

Last In Austria they use fists instead of hands for that Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

I wonder if there is an Internation prototype hand like the International prototype kilogram at Sèvres - hands after all, can come in many sizes - and who's hand is it, and how was it aquired? Do they use a child's hand to measure ponies?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

A common method in the olden times was to take a random sample of ten*, put them together and mark the length on a tape/stick/etc.

*e.g. a sequence of people stepping out of church since everyone was expected to be there and (unlike at the entry) the leaving did not follow any order of rank, thus the sample would be both representative and random.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Everything should be metric.

Last except the metric week Post

Swatopluk

There have been several attempts at a metric week but it was usually a Trojan horse to reduce non-working days.

Last Post

Griffin NoName

I have a weakness for food.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

As long as it is not fast or with weak sauce?

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 24, 2014, 11:52:09 PM
There have been several attempts at a metric week but it was usually a Trojan horse to reduce non-working days.
The week is about the moon, you can't have metric moon phases.

Last what I don't understand is the fascination with the number 12 Post

Swatopluk

The month is the one about the moon and our months do not fit with the moon phases either.

The standard model would be the same as the Egyptians used: 12 months with 30 days each, the remaining 5 or 6 days are outside the year (and are holidays).
So, a month would have 3 weeks with 10 days per week => 36 weeks/year = 360 days + 5 to 6 extra.

12 is just more versatile than 10.
10 = 1*10=2*5;
12=1*12=2*2*3=2*6=3*4

Last and the Babylonians combined both with their system based on 60 Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Something's gotta give, either the month fits or you have to use a short and long calendars, all things considered better to have months not fitting the moon than months not fitting the year, don't you think?

Last as far as the 12 the only possible explanation is the number of rib pairs Post

Griffin NoName

Saving up those spare days until there are 365 of them, then slot in an extra year. If this was done sneakily enough, no one would know, so all the things that happen in that extra year can be ignored as if they did not happen, which might prove useful.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

That would end as in ancient Rome. Those who have to decide about the date of the leap period will sell it to the highest bidder.
Hey, Mr.President. Would you like to stay in office for an extra year? For the modest sum of ${insert quite high number} and some other privileges, we would be inclined to time the leap according to your wishes. Btw, your opponent offered us a not insignificant sum to cut a year instead.

Last Post

Aggie

I would prefer 12 months of 30 days, then the bulk of time falling outside of months and treated as a holiday period to usher in the new year. It would foster community celebrations, and in many parts of the world a similar period is treated that way in any case (date for the start of the New Year vary).

Last Post
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Or get rid of the extra days by travelling deep into space. There's no end of ways to get rid of awkward extra time.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host