News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Political 'abstinence only'?

Last not comprehensive Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Un-voting would be better than abstinence.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Negative votes would likely get used strategically against anyone challenging the status quo.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Does it make a difference? Those who abstain do so more than anything else due to apathy.

Last un-voting sounds even more democratic than voting Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

The Big Parties would unite to use parts of their base to negatively vote on small parties and heretics in their own ranks.
A dangerous tool though. If handled badly it could become a MAD scenario leaving only extremists. It would always be a gamble how many votes should be targeted at the enemy and how many are needed to maintain the power base. Lower effect in proportional representation but potentiall deadly in 'winner takes all'.
More interesting even would be two votes, one positive, one negative.

Last could mean zero net votes for every candidate Post

Griffin NoName

Zero net votes is about what we had in the last election.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Because people are/were disgusted with both (post)Blairites and Tories?

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 19, 2014, 01:51:00 PM
The Big Parties would unite to use parts of their base to negatively vote on small parties and heretics in their own ranks.
This would only work if the big party in question doesn't have competition from another big party, IOW if you have a one party dictatorship it would virtually eliminate any minority party representation, but the general result would be the same as they would have complete control over the legislature anyway.

Last would you really risk legitimate for votes to push againstvotes, if someone else has a legitimate challenge against you? Post

Swatopluk

Would be a nice excersise in maneuvering and bluffing. The trick would be to get the other side to waste the votes. And to get the minor groups that have no chance of winning themselves to use their negative votes against your opponent. Consider this: Many voters dislike all choices but love to vote against certain guys. They may not be willing to vote FOR you but could be goaded into voting AGAINST your most dangerous rival.

Last better to vote against the greater evil than voting for the lesser Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

But as long as that is a legitimate voter choice I don't see how is it a problem to vote against.

Last I'm one of those people Post

Swatopluk

In my estimate the result would be nothing that realistically represented the will of a majority. It could only work with a majority of voters using their heads and some degree of analytical thought. Compare the 'compromise' of dividing the cake with one side proposing 50:50 and the other 100:0, yielding 75% for the unreasonable side.

Last and that's not even considering one side not taking 'yes' for an answer Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Erm, is there a place where the will of the majority is represented realistically?

Last without trampling the voices of the minority? Post

Swatopluk

Scandinavia usually does a tolerable job there.

Otherwise, why should we make it even worse with a voting game that can be rigged even more easily?

Last the more complicated the game the easier it is to game Post

----

Btw, game. How about this one?
Each player gets forty cards consisting of four colours with the numbers from 1 to 10.
In each round each player can play (hidden at first) up to four cards. the value is calculated thus: add numbers of  cards of same colour then multiply the sums of all colours. E.g. Red2, Red4, Yellow6, Blue3 => (2+4)*6*3=108. The player with the highest result collects the cards played by the other players in this round. If two have the same higest result, their cards get discarded and the take is decided between the remaining players. A player that has no cards left is out. When all cards are played (or only one player has cards left) the game ends and the players count their takes (simple sum of all numbers independent of colour). The player with the highest sum wins. Again, if two or more have the same highest sum total they cancel each other out and the winner is the next in line.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

To make it interesting you have X seconds to do the math or you lose the hand, and if the number you give is wrong you get penalized with losing twice the cards.

Last 5 seconds to lose Post

Swatopluk

It will be difficult enough to hold 40 cards.

Last Post