News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Difficult to dose though. One gram of annihilated matter/antimatter (500 mg each) about equals the Hiroshima bomb.

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Agrippina seemed to manage fine with a feather.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I admittedly don't get that allusion.
There are so many Agrippinas and a whole Agrippa clan

Last Post

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 16, 2013, 07:07:09 PM
I admittedly don't get that allusion.

Wow! I've achieved the impossible!!  :o

"According to Tacitus, Agrippina got Halotus to feed Claudius a poisoned mushroom and when that did not work, Claudius's doctor put a poisoned feather down his throat, ostensibly to make him vomit. " http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cavendish/death-emperor-claudius

or "The suggestion is that some substance was added. Tacitus, early second century, claims that a poisoned feather was administered to Claudius by his personal physician Xenophon." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1279685/

Last ok, so it wasn't just a feather Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Ah, that Aggripina. There were several others of the family accused of "Italian divorce".
Females usually did not get an individual name in Rome but the female form of the clan name plus a number.
On the other hand many boys just got a number (Quintus, Sextus, Septimus)
In order to avoid confusion historians often use nicknames instead.

Last Post

Griffin NoName

My son invented a numbring system for humans instead of names. It got so complex that he decided it would be better to use names.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Uh, oh. I hope you told him who tried that the last time and for what purpose. There are still some around with the tattoo

Last Post

Griffin NoName

I did not. His was a bit more like the Roman method. Each "family" had a number. But starting with Adam and Eve is not a good idea.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

Last   Ira Levin's characters had "namebers" in This Perfect Day   Post
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

It's simply too long for daily use. It would be a numeric equivalent to Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingel-dangel-dongel-dungel-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumbelmeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbeleisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwurstl-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopf of Ulm.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The Borg solved that one quite easily: a limited number of nodes per unimatrix, in consequence any individual can be addressed as 15 of 20 and if more info is required the number of the unimatrix is invoked.

Last among the node an individual is referred to simply as the first number, like Seven Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Which shows how few of them cluster in one place. Even in a medium sized company or agency the numbers would quickly get longer than any normal name.

Last and that with no redundancy protection Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Actually I'm not so sure, think about the following:

In Metropolis:
Accounting: 15 employees
Sales: 32 employees
IT: 5 employees
HR: 4 employees
Advertising: 12 employees
R&D: 10 employees
Plant: 35 employees
Management: 18

In Gotham:
Accounting: 5 employees
Sales: 36 employees
IT: 7 employees
HR: 2 employees
Advertising: 3 employees
R&D: 18 employees
Plant: 23 employees
Management: 15

3 of 7 in Gotham if referred to as "3" in IT, "3 of 7" in Gotham, and in Metropolis as "3 of 7 of IT in Gotham", but once that is enunciated the first time so long there is no other unit with 7 individuals "3 of 7" is enough to distinguish him/her. You can even replace cities for subsidiaries and you don't even need to utter a real name in the name.

Last you can us as many subdivisions as you like, more considering that it is rare for any manageable unit to be larger than 50 Post

Swatopluk

At the German EPA equivalent (UBA) where I worked one would have needed at least 4 numbers to refer to a person (of about 1500). I would have been employee #? in department III.2.3 (chemical industry and power generation) with about two dozen persons in that sub-category. Since there was constant cooperation/coworking with other departments and sub-departments, it would have been always necessary to use the complete code. And due to also constant outside cooperation with the ministry and local environmental agencies (plus industry) one or two numbers extra would have to be added.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Ah, but the numbers are added when you are working outside your department or agency. In reality names aren't that different, how many Johans can work in a 1500 employee agency?

Last granted names can have more variation but in reality the pool isn't that large Post