News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Personally being more of a cash guy I am not really informed about this stuff. I only know that amazon.de accepts direct payments from account (as do most German companies) while amazon.co.uk insists on credit card (e.g.VISA) which means indirect payment and a fee for the purchaser.
I clearly prefer the former but as far as I know it is under attack (and I guess credit card companies are the ones pushing this attack behind the scenes).

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There is talk of an hypothetical Amazon bank, that would take care of such things.

Last an even bigger empire Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I think they have their own credit card by now

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

They peddle a Visa, indeed, but what they are trying now is to go beyond that.

Last the note I heard implied that they're even thinking on their own shipping company Post

Swatopluk

Fortunately their main facility in Europe is in Germany, so even orders from England arrive here quickly from a domestic address quite often :mrgreen:

Last but I have to pay UK delivery rates nonetheless Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

But that is because you want stuff that isn't in Amazon.de I imagine.

Last picky Post

Swatopluk

Or 50% more expensive

Last although, as said, most of it comes from the same depots Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last it's a conspiracy! Post

Swatopluk

Well, but British customers will get the same stuff free of charge, although it as to be flown in from Germany (I guess the same is true for e.g. France).

Last Post

Griffin NoName

Normally if a credit card fee is requred it is quoted separately as an "add-on" in either an apologetic or an agressive tone. I am not aware am...co.uk charges credit card  fees. They are never quoted so I assume not.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Usually the charges shop up when the amount is a substantial percentage of the transaction.

Last back home you will be quoted the price for cash vs credit card which is ~10% higher Post

Swatopluk

No, the fees are not from amazon but from the credit card company. Using the card is essentially them lending you money and getting it back with interest. But they can of course charge other fees too, e.g. for the privilege they grant you using their usurious product, and definitely, if you do not pay them back in time (in the US that part is a major source of revenue).

Last Post

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 27, 2012, 11:10:54 PM
No, the fees are not from amazon but from the credit card company.

Yes. That's correct. But the vendor passes it on to the shopper. But, has to declare it. It's always amount x for the product "plus" stated charge for using a credit card. The typical use of this in the UK is airlines and travel companies. ie. it is unusual.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

OK, two different things here:

1. The percentage charged by the credit card/bank on the loan; my experience both in Colombia and the US is that it starts counting from the next billing cycle, that is, if I pay the expenses of the month in full, no interest is charged to my account. Some credit card companies charge an annual fee for the 'privilege' of owning a CC, but most cards don't have such fee. Other fees can be applied such as:
   a. International transaction fees (self explanatory). I imagine this is the fee Swato is talking about.
   b. Cash advance fees (ie, you go to an ATM to withdraw money with a credit card).
   c. Late payment.

2. The fee/percentage the credit card company charges the vendor of goods when a product is purchased with a credit card. Such fees vary from a few cents per transaction and/or a percentage of the full transaction, here in the States the amount can be between <1% to up to 4% IIRC. In other countries such fees can go from 10% to 20% of the full transaction (hence the price difference with CC vs cash). In fact I have seen that here in Miami specifically in gas stations where the price per gallon is frequently 10c less for cash vs CC.

Last $$$ Post

Swatopluk

I plead ignorance since, as said, it is my father's card, and he deals with the details.

Last Post