News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

So Filipino or South American? Any connection to Balbao's* famous dog?

*The first European to cross the Isthmos of Panama and see the Pacific.

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 10, 2012, 09:02:23 PM
So Filipino or South American? Any connection to Balbao's* famous dog?

Neither, and no (wrong landform for the geographic clue, but close). Not a reference to Spain, but you may have overlooked a continent.

Last Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Well, there are Aliso and Mission Viejo in California...

Last not playing the swordfishtrombones Post

Aggie

Viejo was simply a Spanification of Old MacDonald, so you've gotten that part of the clue, generally (getting closer on the location, depending on which California you're in; I haven't anticipated cluing to a specific town.  Fishing villages with notable lava flows might get you somewhere close).

Swordfishtrombones isn't the album I'm thinking of, although the subject matter of the song in question would make it a good fit for that album. I am hesitant to clue directly towards the song lest you post an entire block of lyrics to sift out the word.  

Few lyrics sites have it correct in any case...  I hear the word in question as 'contralto' when Tom sings it (completely wrong, so not a clue), and many lyrics posters are utterly mystified.

Last Post

Oh, Griffin? Release the hounds, since Swato has brought up dogs.  ;)  That clue should be much more straightforward, and I have some secondary clues related to it.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I could move down to the Sea of Cortez between Nether/Baja California and the main body of Mexico. Home to blue whales and the nasty Humboldt Squids. Not to forget some species of caridea (shrimps). I do not know whether one can find psitol shrimps there too.

Last Post

Griffin NoName

A pretty straightforward clue: The word looks similar to combination of a famous little dog and a Scandinavian pop band.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Note that I have already given secondary clues related to this, which probably made no sense before.  :mrgreen:

This is by far the easiest path to the word itself without knowing the meaning. If you are up for a challenge, ignore this clue and related items, and try to get to the answer by identifying the creature(s) that the word refers to (this clue will be an easy confirmation once you think you have it).  The other clues I've set (and responses to Swato's questions) point to the creature(s) themselves...

Last ....and also lean heavily on Wikipedia, FWIW. Wiki-fu might be an asset. Post

Griffin, you can give the third clue whenever you please. I'd prefer to encourage that line of exploration.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 11, 2012, 02:19:24 AM
A pretty straightforward clue: The word looks similar to combination of a famous little dog and a Scandinavian pop band.

Are there any beside ABBA? ;) You can't mean Sir Henry and his butlers :mrgreen:
Famous dog? Snoopy, Droopy, Rover, Lassie, Lady, Cujo, Nipper (EMI), Spot, Spike, Zorba.......list is endless

Last will take some time Post

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 11, 2012, 10:13:57 AM
Are there any beside ABBA? ;) You can't mean Sir Henry and his butlers :mrgreen:

The Swedish list is always larger than I would suspect; many had major hits in North America:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_pop_music

Denmark is no slouch on exporting pop music, either.

Finland and Norway tend to be known for darker stuff; Iceland seem to be better for indie music.

Last admittedly, as sub-words, the list is shorter Post

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I checked the list for all the Scandinavian countries.

Even the Faroe Islands have a lot.

QuoteModern bands

Well known Faroese bands include (in alphabetical order) 200, Analog Norð, Arnold Ludvig Project, Boys In A Band, Clickhaze, Deiggj, Devon, The Dreams, Eivør, Faroe Boys, Frændur, Gestir, the Ghost, Heidrik, Hjarnar, Høgni Reistrup, Goodiepal, Lama Sea, Lena, maður:glotti, Makrel, MARIUS, Moirae (band), Mold, MonkeyRat, MC-Hár, Oniontree, Nalja, Present Past, Sic, Safir, Side Effect, The Story Ends, Teitur, Týr, Heljareyga and Yggdrasil.

Last I'd rather find all Sarah Connors in the US phone book Post

Aggie

So that clue is best left for confirmation, perhaps (incidentally, I have since realised that there may be more than one pop band name hidden in the LPWB).

Something else to chew on, more related to the first clue (the third clue that I've asked Griffin to safeguard):

If you think populations of the LPWB have been condemned by a vacuum cleaner, you are a little confused.

Last ponder that one for a while Post

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The California gulf is the home of the endangered vaquita porpoise.

Last I suspect that has nothing to do with the LPWB Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Wrong class (not sure if they school, though, but I'm speaking in biological terms), right idea and area.  

Last keep fishing Post
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Humbold squid are native of the area.

Last and they do school Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Put a little more backbone into it. ;)  The LPWB can also be larger than a Humbolt, although not by orders of magnitude.

You're looking for the common name of the creature, which is the same as the generic name. The latest clue, if interpreted, will narrow the list down somewhat.  I've confirmed that a search based on solving that clue will turn up the LPWB (among others). The second clue will make it relatively easy to spot / confirm (and that little dog is still missing, btw).

Last Post
WWDDD?