News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I might have to send in this laptop for repairs (BR/DVD drive broken).
That may curb my activities and also delay this years elaborate April hoax.

Meanwhile I must be content with the Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Sounds like a disaster.

Last don't panic Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

The only other computer around is my father's and I can use that only in the morning. It also has no sound.
I just hope it has enough storage space for a few weeks of Rachel Maddow podcasts (MSNBC does not archive that, so one has to download it daily).

Last inconvenient Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Are you really watching BRs? You could use something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106329

Last I'm sure is quicker and cheaper than fixing the current one unless it is under warranty Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I use that exact one (at least they look the same) as an external drive.
The warranty (3 years) has not run out yet. It will in 1 week.
In a way it's lucky that a part fails shortly before that (as opposed to shortly after).

I actually bought this laptop because it had a BR drive and a wide screen without being much more expensive than comparable ones with just DVD and smaller more narrow screen. I thought about using it during my 5 hours daily commuting (when I still had that job). But relatively shortly after my PC broke down and the laptop took its place. The sole disadvantage is that it is quite heavy and runs only about 2 hours on battery (well, the big screen comes at a cost). Well, and it runs on Vistaaaargh. I somehow always buy the in-between OpSys :-\

Last and the announcements for MickerSoft's follow-up to Whinedos 7 look dreadful, i.e. app-based Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Laptops are getting quite cheap and battery life is going up (incredible, right?), I got a smaller one for my wife for U$350, 12' screen, between 4 and 6 hours of battery life, and the processor (an AMD dual core) isn't too shabby either. Larger screens can be had for ~$600 with similar processors and the hit on battery life isn't that big.

Last I'm considering biting the bullet and buy a new laptop for myself because my old one is agonizingly slow Post

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

And the older machines worked better for as long as they worked at all.

Last nostalgic Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I believe the Tandy 1000 SX that ran at the blazing fast speed of 7.16 MHz and had no hard disk where I learned to program GWBasic istill runs. I even did a program to study ear training that generated random harmonic progressions for that beast, because it was capable of polyphony.

Last I even programmed a video game for that thing Post

Swatopluk

My first computer had no hard disk either (Atari ST 1040, the number indicating that it had 1MB RAM. The little brother was the ST512 and the big brother the Mega ST with 4 MB RAM and a harddisk of, I guess, 10-20 MB). My first PC had a 20MB hard disk that I did not manage to exhaust in more than 5 years (It finally broke down and it was far too outdated to get spare parts). I think it had 16 MHz. The next PC had 100 MHz and I expanded RAM to 8 MB (from the original 4; maximum was either 16 or 32). Although not broken it got replaced by an 800MHz machine that crashed a bit over a year ago to be replaced by a 2 GHz laptop with 4 GB RAM and 2/3 of a TB harddisk. I think the processor is dual core but I am not fully sure about that.
Performancewise I see a clear downward trend, i.e. the same functions run slower on the newer and faster machines and it gets more and more difficult to deal with problems personally without consulting an expert.

Last the anti-Moore law of sloppy programming Post

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 28, 2012, 02:04:03 AM
...I got a smaller one for my wife for U$350, 12' screen, between 4 and 6 hours of battery life
That's a seriously large screen you have there. How on earth does it count as a laptop any more? It's more like a cinema screen! Still, awesome battery life on a screen that size. :o

My first computer, if I go by Swatopluk's example, was either an Atari ST (it was the one from the early 80s with the faux wooden surround), followed by a Commodore Plus4, then a Commodore 64, then a PS1, then a PS2, then I bought my first PC, then that was replaced by me, then during that PC's life, I bought an Xbox 360, then a PS3, then I replaced my second PC with the one I currently have (Intel Core i7 920, 6GB RAM (Corsair), 620GB HDD), which was assembled by my own hands.

Last WTFSM am I saying Post.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

That you seem to know what you are talking about. :mrgreen:

Last unlike me Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Roland Deschain on April 01, 2012, 12:36:53 AM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 28, 2012, 02:04:03 AM
...I got a smaller one for my wife for U$350, 12' screen, between 4 and 6 hours of battery life
That's a seriously large screen you have there. How on earth does it count as a laptop any more? It's more like a cinema screen! Still, awesome battery life on a screen that size. :o
I roll it out and take them everywhere I go...  :P

Obviously I meant 12"...

Last I build my own computers too, not that difficult Post

Griffin NoName

I got a 12" pizza; it was too big.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

12 inch was also the original standard calibre for the main artillery of Dreadnought battleships

Last inching in the yard Post