News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

It's simple. Since laypeople are very ignorant, they do not know that a lot of what they do is sinful and thus do not bring it up in the confessional (without evil intent on their part). The church therefore must have a list as complete as possible, so the priest can ask for the stuff. How do they compile the list? A) use their dirty minds to come up with new entries B) note everything down that came up during any confessional because some laypeople have an an even dirtier mind and occasionally even realize the fact. The data is collected centrally, organized and catalouged and then sent to all priests in the form of manuals of confession. Using computer databases that can be accessed in the confessional were seriously discussed (together with confessional computers that would automatically add up all confessed sins and calculate the proper punishment) but not adopted because this would undermine the spirituality of the procedure (it would essentially make the priest superfluous).
The problem with this approach was always that confessing laypeople could use the dirty questions to enhance their own sinning.
"Did you do X?", "No but it sounds like somethig I should try!". A lot of ink was spilled to discuss ways to avoid that. Asking 10 year old kids about anal sex was on the one hand mandatory just to be sure but it could give them ideas or they would simply not understand the question even if they had comitted that sin.

Last All of the above is not meant as a joke. The system really worked and works that way Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Madness.

I heard on the radio yesterday, that because we know G-d exists, evil spirits are real too. I failed to follow the logic but the priest was certain about it.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I always thought that a pact with the devil was foolish (for all involved) since the presence of the devil and the terms of the deal clearly showed that there was a God. That God would (at least in the long term) offer a much better deal.

Last I guess the Evil one bet on the instant gratification urge of humans Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I guess it is possible (that is, while entertaining the premise of god vs the devil) that the devil sells his influence under the guise that the whole "heaven and immortal soul" thing is a con, while his influence isn't.

Last overlooking the fact of the wording of the contract specifying the immortal soul price of the transaction Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Profits available from the sale of imaginary concepts? Sounds too good to be true.

Last destitute Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 21, 2011, 12:37:29 AM
Profits available from the sale of imaginary concepts? Sounds too good to be true.

Oh, it's true - it's called The ChurchTM.  And many other similar things that seem to be quite profitable.   :mrgreen:

Last I actually have a bit of a fascination with Catholicism as practised by the laity, and an ongoing attraction to lapsed/lazy Catholics, but the rules of the Catholic Church seem like a bunch of boggle made up by sexually frustrated old men ;) Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

As far as the worship of Mary is concerned my fascination with Roman Catholicism is more like a horror movie.
I'd rather face anrgy fundamentalist Muslims than a certain type of Mary cultists.

Last fanaticism plus extreme lack of taste Post

Aggie

I think I was speaking of the fact they've retained almost enough pageantry and ceremony to have a bit of emotional impact (WASP denominations of Churchianity seem booooring).  I am not familiar enough with the Eastern Orthodox Church but suspect this may be even more so with this branch.

Catholic-majority countries just seem to have more fun that Protestant ones, which is perhaps a bigger factor in my perception. Maybe it's the ability to confess said fun?

Last it's all based on my vague impressions, because there's Catholics here but little overt CatholicismPost
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I just saw a note by the BBC in Spanish service which claimed that the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God is the largest corporation in Brazil. Those ... individuals, have presence in Colombia and, as most evangelical organizations, are quite insistent on tithe payments.

Last whatever they're selling many idio... I mean, believers are buying it Post

Aggie

See?  The Pentecostals throw enough purported direct 'spiritual experience' (speaking in tongues and the like) into their services to get people interested.

People want a big show.  Sitting in a hard pew every week getting lectured at by a dusty old minister about thou shalt or shalt not has little appeal in this day and age. That's also why the megachurches are booming.

Last if they also give food to the poor, it's the ol' bread-and-circuses routine, very effective Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I love orthodox chant. This would likely be diminished were I able to understand church slavonic.

Last my knowledge of Latin ruins the enjoyment of a number of Western sacred music pieces, I'd otherwise highly appreciate Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Like the time I had to sing Mendelssonn's 2nd in English.

Last I would've understood less and liked it more in German Post

Swatopluk

We know from Douglas Adams that mutual understanding can have catastrophic results :mrgreen:

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last ask the translators of the UN Post

Swatopluk

I thought everybody there knew that any words spoken in the assembly were of no significancy whatsovever.

Last Post

Edit: I thnk it is insignificant whether I use significancy or significance :mrgreen: