News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The mythbusters made a leather cannon and it worked, sort of, the ball was moving at 55Mph/90Kmh. They did a tree cannon too, but there are issues with it's durability and the possibility of explosion.

Last with a modified pressure cooker you can make a viable gun too Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I think the fact that used models survived should make clear that they were not just mad ideas (enough of those in old books and manuscripts).
Early books on artillery (Feuerwerksbücher) contained testing procedures for new cannons and handling tips about how to avoid harm in case of explosion.

Last Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Many ideas of the past are quite workable. The usual problems are the quality and availability of materials, and the levels of purity for compounds.

Last just think how many things we take for granted because steel is cheap Post

Swatopluk

Iirc Gustav II. Adolph had leather field cannons. I assume their main advantage was that they were significcantly lighter than iron or bronze ones.

Last and therefore much more mobile Post

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 10, 2011, 09:47:07 AM
The cicutoxin looks highly reactive to me with all its conjugated double bonds, one of them in allylic position to the hydroxy group.

I missed that.  You're right - lots of electron-pushing potential there.  I bow to you, Herr Doktor. ;)

Last I obviously need to pull my head out of the oilpatch - I look at long chains and think "Eh, that won't move far, no worries there"; no phenyl groups, so not that carcinogenic ;) Post

With the remnants of civilization, some lightweight artillery would be easy to build out of ABS pipe - spud guns are quite capable of launching lead or stone slugs with deadly force, good range and moderate accuracy. Reloading is slow, but as they use a gaseous propellant it'd be possible to use wood gas or biogas in a storage bag to charge them (liquid hydrocarbons applied as a mist also work, but would likely degrade the firing chamber over time). Recoil is fairly minimal and with a two-person team they'd be quicker to reload and recharge than a black-powder weapon (additionally, there's no chance of reignition on charging, which I suspect is a danger with black powder weapons). Set up on tripods in a bank at a well-defended spot, these could be reasonably good en masse against an advancing unit.  Not much good for sniping individual targets accurately, though, and no match for a proper firearm, but larger variants could probably make a reasonable substitute for lightweight field cannons, and launching flaming projectiles is probably also possible. Piezoelectric ignitions are the usual favourite, but even a touch hole and a match works.

ABS is also the material of choice for launching fireworks shells, which are essentially deweaponised mortars.  

Assuming you've got access to batteries and a way to charge them, some fine graphite rods (mechanical pencil lead) and a little bit of wire, black-powder IEDs, land mines and booby traps should be easily possible.

WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 10, 2011, 07:09:20 PM
Iirc Gustav II. Adolph had leather field cannons. I assume their main advantage was that they were significcantly lighter than iron or bronze ones.

Feather field cannons would have been even lighter.

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Aggie on September 10, 2011, 07:49:20 PM
With the remnants of civilization, some lightweight artillery would be easy to build ...
You have been giving some thought to this problem...

Last how's the building of the bunker going? Post

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 11, 2011, 03:22:04 AM
You have been giving some thought to this problem...

I was a bored student in high school, even when taking Physics 12 in Grade 11.  We sat at the back and spent the lectures sketching improvised mayhem machines, and booby trapped the electrical outlets.  We spent some lunches dismantling the security mag-sensors on various doors and others doing things it's best not to mention.  Nothing malevolent or malicious, just seeing what we could get up to.

Last I've settled down a lot, no bunkers planned Post
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Bunkers are for suckers
Pillboxes rule!

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Swatopluk

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That looks a bit tight.

Last my back aches just from watching it Post

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

He had the chance to lose the family ears and that guide just spoiled it.

Last Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)