News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: pieces o nine on August 05, 2011, 06:49:05 AM
Quote from: SwatoplukWhy not cucumbers?
Because zucchinis are the one vegetable that *everyone* seems able to grow, perhaps regardless of whether they were even actually planted. Bumper crops occur every summer, with jokes about returning to a parked car to find the windshield broken and unwanted, surplus zucchinis left on the dashboard. "I personally believe" that we are sitting on a zucchini-ethanol-freedom!-goldmine, folks. Who's with me?   :D

Ah, the annual zucchini panic....  put them in cakes*, bread, salsa (mom's got a recipe somewhere; imho it needs a revamp), stuff them, fry them, grill them.  Really, I think the culinary trend of eating baby zucchinis is at least partly an attempt to keep the zucchini tsunami pushed back. Kill 'em before they grow.

*a friend's mother used to stuff so many random bits of produce into one cake recipe that it was quasi-affectionately referred to as 'compost cake'.

I am sceptical on whether there is enough sugar in a zucchini to carry fermentation alone, so how do we break it out?  Not much point brewing if all the EtOH is coming from added sugar. 

I'm also tempted to do some mead-ing or other home brewery.  I found some 1.5L bottles of Grolch to easily rack things up (they have wire bale and rubber gasket tops); two of those would match well with the little 3L kimchi crock I have.  Hmm.... I wonder how many I'd need for my big crock?

Last we should start a thread in home brewing Post

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So the so-called "edible" pest called zucchini can't be used much then?

Last not a fan Post
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

Quote from: AggieI am sceptical on whether there is enough sugar in a zucchini to carry fermentation alone, so how do we break it out?  Not much point brewing if all the EtOH is coming from added sugar. 
Are we going to give up this easily, in the face of the Annual Zucchini Invasion? I say, No! Perhaps Swato can put together a research team of chemists and geneticists, to bolster the flagging sugar content of Zucchinis Familiaris.

LAST      We shall plant them on the beaches, we shall plant them on the landing grounds, we shall plant them in the fields and in the streets, we shall plant them in the hills; we shall never stop planting and harvesting and adjusting their genetic sequencing, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this nation or a large part of it were subjugated and starving for OPEC oil, then our Siblings beyond the seas, encouraged and guarded by the Monastery, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the much-maligned zucchini, with all its new-found power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the people.      POST

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

It worked on the sugar-beet.
For its time it was a rather mad undertaking. More or less a case of: What plants grows well in this desert the Lord gave to us Prussians? Now could someone please try to transmogrify this plant into something that we can extract sugar from economically. Otherwise we have to either go without sugar or sell even more of our kids into bondage to buy it from the evil French and the greedy Brits.
The only other example of such an undertaking I know is the (in the end successful) search for the edible lupine (this stuff grows abundantly but is poisonous. Go out and find some mutants that are not. Then we will breed these and drive the old ones off the land).

Last Dennis Moore Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Just ask the Irish about potatoes.

Last they used to be ornamental Post

Aggie

Last I wonder if we can tap sap out of a zucchini vine and brew that? Post
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

LAST    would that be a 'small beer'   POST?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 06, 2011, 01:10:26 PM
Just ask the Irish about potatoes.

Last they used to be ornamental Post

On the continent the peasants had to be tricked into eating them by planting them* in fields that were guarded by day while the rumor was spread that they were for the upper classes only.

Last and then someone found out that they could also be used to produce booze Post

*the potatoes not the peasants

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

And they did this intentionally?

Last hard to believe from the "nobility" at the time Post

Swatopluk

The Prussian kings were a bit different from their colleagues.
And the French kings probably believed that well-fed peasants couild be worked harder

Last Louis XIV actually knew a bit about reality-based economics unlike most of the high nobility Post

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Last It was all The Little Ice Age's fault Post

Griffin NoName

My son showed me a totally enormous zucchini on Skype today. Unrequested. ie. synchronicity with this thread.

Also, is that man above there smoking one?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It would explain his absences and erratic behavior.

Last I imagine he uses more potent stuff, though Post

Griffin NoName

But does he inhale?

Last Post
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

At what temperature (or oxygen content of the air) does a zucchini catch fire?

Last otherwise smoking is out and sucking is in Post