News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Last Post Game!!!!

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, March 19, 2006, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Swato's clue from the previous LPWB was:

my clue was:
She's fearless in the water but pretty rare today
for nasty swordfishs caught her and made her easy prey

Beagle correctly observed that this was referring to the Fairey Swordfish planes but failed to identify the prey (it's not the herring, that was too specific).
I said that he overlooked the most direct clue.

My clues are:

1. Two syllables

2. One way is useful for carrying things

3. Another way is too slow for some, but loved by its users and named by them

4. The Italian Navy was no fan

5. Not my official name, but what I am called by those who know me best.

6. My official name can nevertheless be found in the previous LPWB discussion

I am not referring to the target of the previous LPWB.  Consider the other protagonist and then look up some info about that.  The word is the name of one thing, as per clue 2, that is applied to another thing as per clues 3&5.  Clue 6 should give the game away.

last helpful Post
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Chatty

This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

We have already established that shopping bag is the right category and that there are associations to nets.
And as Bluenose noted, it is a nickname for something connected with the last LPWB.

Last should I pull'em? Post
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Hmmm... not !!! LAST POST WORD BINGO WINNER !!, is it?

I guess it is.

Last now I have to think of one, don't I? Post

Edit: can someone put a new word in for me?  I've got one.

goat starer

I tend to consider myself an intelligent kind of chap (slides completed copy of todays guardian cryptic crossword surruptitiosly onto the table in the hope people will notice) but I seem to be all at sea with this game. I dont really understand the rules or concept properly and it makes my horns hurt! Would anyone like to explain a bit?

Last butting the wall Post
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Here's the idea behind Last Post Word Bingo: one person (usually the previous LPWB winner) picks a word and emails it to the appropriate mod, who then enters that word in the forum's filter.

The picker then gives clues as to what the word might be.  There's no set format to the clues; they're either cryptic and oblique or direct and straightforward according to the tastes of the person giving them out.

When the LPWB word is guessed, the game starts all over again.

BTW - the word this time was s t r i n g b a g.

Last myself, I hit my head against the wall because it feels so good when I stop Post

Edit: I've never been able to figure out the cryptic crosswords myself.  I saved an article once that described how to do them, which I "put away for later" and proptly lost.

goat starer

cheers! why was the word !!! LAST POST WORD BINGO WINNER !!? I can see how it fits the italian navy clue and the carrying thing bit but the rest puzzles me.

Last enlightened yet still confused Post

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Swatopluk

The Fairey Swordfish was called the Stringbag because of the lot of wirework (even for a biplane).
A lot of erotic(?) dessous look like stringbags, so an alternative "use" was insinuated.
The "net" references should be obvious.
Anything else?
Last Post

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I prefer Victoria's Secret to stringbag...

Last Post

I'm back..

Swatopluk

Just a matter how much money you want to waste on negligible amounts of cloth/stuff ;D

Last Where is my string tanga? Probably eaten by a moth! Post

Bluenose

Quote from: goat starer on December 20, 2006, 03:01:56 PM
cheers! why was the word !!! LAST POST WORD BINGO WINNER !!? I can see how it fits the italian navy clue and the carrying thing bit but the rest puzzles me.

Last enlightened yet still confused Post

Hi Goat,

Explanation of my clues are as follows:

1. Two syllables

String/bag

2. One way is useful for carrying things

Obvious, a sting bag is a common carryall, at least it used to be.  One way, means that this is one route to the word

3. Another way is too slow for some, but loved by its users and named by them

Another way means that this is an alternate route to the word.  The Swordfish was notable for being a very slow aircraft.  WWII German gunnery fire directors were unable to correctly track and direct fire at them because they flew so slowly - thus "too slow for some".  The aircrew of these remarkable aircraft did in fact love them and even preferred them to some of their later replacements, especially the Albacore and the Barracuda (there is a Fleet Air Arm song that contains the line "the Barracuda two, will be the death of you, on that you can rely.." sung to the tune of as time goes by) It was their crew that affectionately dubbed them "s t r i n g b a g s"

4. The Italian Navy was no fan

The Battle of Taranto was the first major Naval action in history where aircraft were used exclusively as the weapon system against ships.  S t r i n g b a g s from 815 squadron launched torpedo attacks on the naval ships in port at Taranto and effectively took the Italian Navy out of the war.  Not many people took any notice, although it was noted by one Royal Navy admiral that the battle signalled the ned of the "big gun" warship.  However the Japanese Imperial Navy did pay attention and showed the world just how well they had learned the lesson on 7 Dec 1941 at Pearl Harbour

5. Not my official name, but what I am called by those who know me best.

already explained

6. My official name can nevertheless be found in the previous LPWB discussion

Fairy Swordfish is directly named in the previous LPWB

Last explanatory Post
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

goat starer

I knew about the swordfish stuff. The rest makes some sense now too. Thanks. So in theory some new clues to a new word will be posted soon?

Last elucidated Post

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Bluenose

Yep.

Last eagerly anticipating a new word  Post

The Meromorph

The new word is in!

Last Post
Dances with Motorcycles.

Bluenose

Waiting, waiting...  there must be a clue here somewhere... ;D

Last clueless Post