News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical education of young generations...

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, January 10, 2007, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I just heard for the first time on our local classical station the other day that JS Bach was obscure in his day. Hard to believe.

There will always be re-discoveries and revivals. I remember getting bored with current rock in the early 80's and turning to the rock'n'roll oldies station. I became determined to get a background for my appreciation of the genre. There was so much material! And I know I still haven't heard half of it.

We get sirius stations on the TV here and our favorite music station is the Underground Garage channel. Really interesting, obscure music there.

Swatopluk

It has been said that in the 19th century the opera was the equivalent to the daily soap of today (and the production time was similar).
As a result for some known composers we don't even know the titles of all the operas they have written. E.g. the "inventor" of the Grand Opera, Spontini: We know that he wrote more than a dozen before "The Jewess" but that's all we know.
Today it is almost inconceivable that Bach had to compose 1 cantata per week apart from his full-time job or that 4 weeks was considered the maximum time for the writing/composing of an opera at the time mentioned above.
There has been lost more than just a bit of musical knowledge with the youth of today.

I have to admit that my own knowledge of 20th century popular music is also extremly limited (at least beyond name recognition) except for some relative obscurities.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.