News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Fruitcake

Started by Aggie, December 05, 2006, 04:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holiday Fruitcake - Love it or hate it?

Love
5 (62.5%)
Hate
0 (0%)
Occasional non-serious flirting
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

goat starer

can someone explain Marzipan to me? Goats have a ruputation for eating anything but I draw a firm line at Marzipan. Give me a fruit cake and I am happy as larry. cover it in marzipan at your peril!
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Fruit cake covered in marzipan?  Who would do such a thing?   :o

I, too, cannot understand marzipan.  To put it on an otherwise good fruitcake seems wrong to me.

Bluenose

Marzipan is a blight on the culinary world.  Frankly I think it should be declared a controlled substance, I would rather put Black Bart's fish head stew on my fruit cake than marzipan.  BTW, I am not suggesting I would like FHS on my cake, I'm merely trying to get across the depth of my antipathy towards marzipan.

Sibling marzipan free Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Classic case of looks before taste (the blight of western produce, distilled into dessert form!).

Most homemade play-dough recipes are better for modelling and nearly as tasty.  It's a crime against almonds. 

I don't hate marzipan, but I can't imagine who would choose it as a method of converting almonds (tasty!) and sugar (tasty!) into "food".  Perhaps it's like fruit cake itself... originally tasty but commercially corrupted.

I did run into a recipe for Pecanzipan that looks much tastier...

Pecanzipan

* 3 cups (.75 lbs) pecans
    * 3 cups (.75 lbs) powdered sugar
    * 1 tbsp rose water
    * 1 1/2 tbsp bourbon
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

Leave out the rosewater and put in more bourbon...

Anything's good with bourbon in it.

Reminds me. Bourban Pecan pie. I need to post that one.

Marzipan isn't really for eating, you know. It's for people that are too lazy to wrap a fruitcake properly...

Purchased marzipan is foul. Homemade is marginally better. I used to use it for the mushrooms and berries for my yule logs, until I found that it was easier to use plastic or 'silk flower' kind, and just as edible.

Hmmm, I wonder where my jelly roll pans are. I ought to go back to the Buche' Noel business. (I'd use 3 shades/strengths of chocolate and texture the frosting on the logs to look as real as possible.) And I wonder where my pastry brushes are?? Hmm, maybe next year.

This year, i'll just get my Wilton Candy Cane shaped pan and do a peppermint cake and decorate that. Red Twizzlers or red sugar? Both??
This sig area under construction.

Opsa

Mmm... peppermint cake? We need that recipe, too!

I love fruitcake. We used to get those little Claxton fruitcakes from a local charity. They were just big enough without being too much. http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/

I was just going to look them up on line and found this monastery which makes them. Maybe if we can make and sell our own, some day!

http://www.monasteryfruitcake.org/

ivor

Hey!  We're a fruitcake monastery!  Maybe we can have an exchange program with them.  ;D

Just kidding...

Opsa

Dear MB,

Please note that you have just been hugged for that comment.

Your pal
Ops

ivor

Quote from: Opsanus tau on December 13, 2006, 03:56:05 PM
Dear MB,

Please note that you have just been hugged for that comment.

Your pal
Ops

Hope everyone took that in the good nature that I meant it.  After I read it again I though, "What a smartass!" LOL.

MB

The Meromorph

I gave yer another hug, matey!
If it weren't too soon after, Id give yer anuther for the second post... :D
Dances with Motorcycles.

Bluenose

S'OK Mero, I did it for you...

Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

*** Fruit Cake Update ***

Bluenose, I've tried out your (or your Pop's) fruit cake recipe.  It came out of the oven last night and is cooling on the table as we speak.

I know the recipe said to let it sit for two weeks; hopefully it's okay after only one week, since I'd really like to have it on Christmas Eve.

*** Marzipan Update ***

I was hanging out with Norwegians on the weekend; apparently marzipan is the Christmas candy in Norway.

Opsa

Hmmm... maybe if we form it into little toadfish...

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on December 18, 2006, 02:32:53 PM
...I know the recipe said to let it sit for two weeks; hopefully it's okay after only one week, since I'd really like to have it on Christmas Eve.

Well, Lambi, I don't know, we always make our cake on Melbourne Cup day (the first Tuesday in November) it's just a family ritual.  I imagine that it will be fine.  IMO recipes are for the guidance of wise men and the strict adherance of fools.  ;) :D  My advice is always, suck it and see!  And I really can't imagine that the cake is going to be no good because it has not had the extra week.

Sibling Bluenose

I'm relieved about the cake (and actually, it's likely to be more affected by the fact I had to make some ingredient substitutions because of local availability), but I am very disconcerted about the fact that...

I MISSED MELBOURNE CUP DAY!!!

For some reason it's not that widely celebrated in Canada.   ;D

Edit:

I just realized something shocking!

An anagram for "marzipan" is "Nazi pram"!!!

Could marzipan be an effort to convert our babies to fascism?!   :o