News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Daylight Savings Time

Started by Vita Curator, October 28, 2006, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: Bluenose on October 31, 2006, 07:04:08 AMWhat the point of this is it's a question of how we fit in our human activities with the daylight hours.  By setting our clocks ahead one hour in summer time we get the "official" day over with one hour earlier and so we can enjoy additional daylight at the end of the day.  At my lattitude (in Melbourne) in the midlle of winter it is dark when I get up to go to work and dark by about 5:30 pm, well before I get home.  I would much prefer it if daylight saving was kept all year round then I would at least see some daylight every day.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

Nick

*Rumble*

Daylight Savings Time is lovely... but I don't see much advantage in setting back to 'normal time'.  I can take the morning dark, but it's a shame to lose the extra hour of light in the PM. 

Of course, we traditionally party hard for Halloween on the Saturday night of the time change, and the extra hour to sleep off the hangover is much appreciated.  Can't stand the spring change forward.
WWDDD?

goat starer

I am about to leave work and it is dark   :'(

normally i would go for a run now but I would fall and hurt myself  :'(

Why can we not put a vast reflector in space and have sunlight all the time.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

Quote from: goat starer on October 30, 2006, 05:14:35 PM
these are the countries intellectual elite (well they are supposed to be. most of the ones I met were overprivilaged blathering fools built in the Boris Johnson mould). Surely going anti clockwise even when drunk can't be too much of a challenge?

Having taken careful note of the proceedings described and especially the status of the college members involved, I suggest none of the difficulties or disasters discussed here are truly serious matters. Surely the real danger is that the grass may be inadvertently trodden on, no joking matter.

Speaking of those long off days, having suffered the indignity of the gas meters being checked at 8 am on a Sunday morning in the late 60's (yes, people really did leap out of windows and two people including my boyfriend were rusticated), as late as the 80's I was expected to remove any two people of the opposite sex who stayed more than 3 days in the same room. We relied on our son who had a tree house at third story level to keep an eye on the hostels for us, else how would we know? Talk about corrupting the young. I really MUST write my memoirs.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: NoName on November 01, 2006, 01:57:04 AMas late as the 80's I was expected to remove any two people of the opposite sex who stayed more than 3 days in the same room.

Well that is pushing it a bit; even at age 20.

Did you ever hear the story of when the New Hall fire alarm went off in the middle of the night when it was still women-only? By most accounts almost as many Hansels as Gretels emerged.

edit:
Apparently it's still nominally women-only. Thought that discrimination went out years ago ;) .

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on November 01, 2006, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: NoName on November 01, 2006, 01:57:04 AMas late as the 80's I was expected to remove any two people of the opposite sex who stayed more than 3 days in the same room.

Well that is pushing it a bit; even at age 20.

Indeed, it always puzzled me that even 20 year olds had as much energy as that  ;D ;D ;D

Did you ever hear the story of when the New Hall fire alarm went off in the middle of the night when it was still women-only? By most accounts almost as many Hansels as Gretels emerged.

The tricks those porters had up their sleeves - and they were soooo scary in those days too. They don't breed em like that any more. How I long for the old days.

edit:
Apparently it's still nominally women-only. Thought that discrimination went out years ago ;) .

Discrimination? No, no. The Fellowship has been mixed gender for years. Surely undergraduates don't count? Maybe this has been addressed in the new EU discrimination legislation that came into force in September........
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Gloria The Camel

I am so glad this thread is here, as Nick said us Aussies just put our clocks forward, and I would just like to say;

I HATE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!

Why do we have to change our clocks? I mean right now it is 7:22 pm and it is still light. OMG IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIGHT AT 7! IT SHOULD BE DARK!!! DARK I TELL YOU!!!!

My body clock is completely out I have no idea! IM SO ANNOYED!

CAN'T WE JUST KEEP THE SAME TIME? I mean we gain nothing! Oh gee I need to lay down.

Griffin NoName

Hey Gloria, how about two pirate eye patches?
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

They should just take an hour out of the middle of the day.  Your job would still have to pay you for it.  I think between four and five should be removed.

MB

Vita Curator

Aye, MB, I likes the way ye thinks!
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.