News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Mr Blue Sr in Hospital

Started by Bluenose, March 11, 2013, 01:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Dad was admitted to hospital yesterday with a high temp and abdominal pain near his lap band port.  CT scan shows that he has erosion of the stomach wall and the band will have to be removed.  He went in about 3 hours ago, I'm at work and have not yet heard any news, although it was only expected that news would become available about now, so no panic on that front.  He didn't look too good when I went to see him last night, but I am pretty sure that it was no worse than I looked when I had a raging infeciton in my foot a few years ago.  The IV anti-biotics will take care of that.  Here's hoping all goes well.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Hope the hospital sorts it quickly. But I suppose there are ramifications to having the band removed?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

All the best to him, Blue.  I'm no expert, but it seems like the kind of thing that can be fixed.  As Griffin says, what consequences will the removal of the band have?

Bluenose

Hi guys, thanks for the wishes. I spoke to Dad this evening, apart from feelling a bit sore and sorry for himself he seems fine, although a bit groggy from the morphine.  The doctor said the band had actually perforated his stomach and it was a bit messy but he has been able to clean it all up ok, so lets just hope the recovery goes well.  The main implication from having the band removed is that it no longer provides restriction when eating.  However, he has had it in for about 7 years and he has gotten used to smaller serving sizes, so lets hope he can keep the weight loss up.  This complication occurs in about 1.5% of cases, so it's probably just bad luck, but Mrs Blue and I have both taken it as an object lesson and we are making sure we keep our serving sizes down so we hopefully don't have the same issue as it can be caused by strecthing out the sac above the band by eating too large meals. 
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

:goodvibes:

Hopefully 7 years of good eating habits will have settled in for your Da.  :)

I have found in myself, it doesn't take me all that long to get used to smaller portions and still feel full-- a week or so does it.   

But the object lesson is clear enough; moderation is the key to lots of things, yes?

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I'm glad to hear that Mr. Blue Sr. came through it okay. What a thing to go through, though!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Griffin NoName

Hope grumpiness evaporates.

I eat small servings, lots of them, all the wrong type of food, like chocolate............ I guess that is not what you mean :irony:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

WWDDD?

Bluenose

Thanks guys!  Much appreciated.

---
I'll let Dad know that whole lot of people on the Interwebs, that he does not know, wish him well!   :P  ::)

Aggie

WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I had quite a lot of people sending me distant healing when I was being treated for cancer. Obviously it worked, or I wouldn't be here now. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host