News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

T-Shirt Tomfoolery

Started by Aggie, April 05, 2010, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Will have to check into shipping etc - they are somewhat pricey and there are alternative local options.  My biggest problem is that being lanky, I don't tend to fill out t-shirts that fit my frame (i.e. need a large for length but not for width).

Starting to think again about why nobody has yet started a local t-shirt co-operative that allows artists and designers to buy in and produce their own stuff using co-op owned equipment, and sell centrally on commission or produce at cost to sell independently.

I figure there should be a market for women's t-shirts with the following design, although it's a bit of an inside Transportation of Dangerous Goods joke that only safety-oriented people might actually get:

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Google "Class 4.3"; other versions of the placard state the hazard explicitly. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Aggie

Subtle yet scandalous, the way I like it. ;D
WWDDD?

Darlica

Ooooookay.

I'm not going to ask you what your female companion has been up to.

Stupid me I though that  type of agitated state usually was the least dangerous...

;)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Lindorm

Ooookaaayyy....

I recognize the sign, but I still don't get the joke. Women release inflammable gases when in contact with water? A 6.2 label I would get, or a class 8 label, or even a UN code of 946, but 4.3? Am I being particularily blonde here?
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Aggie

4.2 is certainly more appropriate for some.  The joke's in the verbal shorthand description of the hazard rather than the chemical implications.  Unless the female in question is prone to farting in the bath. ;)

OK, I'm being dense now and can't cross-reference UN 0946, apparently...  ???

split topic to avoid clutter
WWDDD?

Lindorm

OK, now that I have looked up the english language shorthand definition, I think I understand a bit more. The Swedish shorthand description is on the lines of "Releases combustible gas on contact with water". I was wondering if it was some sort of reference to some witch in a childrens movie that I can't remember right now that burst into smoke when exposed to water.

Hazard identifier 946:

9 = Risk of strong spontaneous reaction
4 = Inflammable solid substance
6 = Toxic or Biohazard

There is, to my knowledge, no substance with UN code 0946 -there is a gap between 0508 1-HYDROXYBENSOTRIAZOL, WATERFREE (hazard code 1.3, BTW) and 1001 ACETYLENE, DISSOLVED (hazard code 239).

Where I am stationed, we do run trains to and from local destinations with bulk loads of UN 1965, UN 1170, UN 1942 and UN1202, as well as a smattering of UN3268. We also carry phosphoric acid in breakbulk quantities to the Coca-Cola plant in Jordbro, outside Stockholm. We also run trains that originate and terminate elsewhere and carry lots of bizarre stuff. The towns of Sundsvall and Norrköping both have extensive chemical industries, so you get to see a lot of orange placards in trains from those places.

And sometimes, I am not even sure that I want to know what's in the container of "Cryogenically cooled gas, corrosive, toxic, Not Otherwise Specified"...

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

ivor

May as well throw this one in there too then:

Aggie

Ah, my ignorance at the composite hazard identifier. ;)

You're thinking of The Wizard of Oz, by the way.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Wouldn't the sign apply for pure Na/K (explosive on water contact)?
--
Any who, "resbaladizo cuando está mojado" (slippery when wet) is gender specific: el suelo (he, the floor) está mojado (had it been feminine would be mojada) which limits it's use.

Works in English, though.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Lindorm on April 06, 2010, 12:04:50 AM
And sometimes, I am not even sure that I want to know what's in the container of "Cryogenically cooled gas, corrosive, toxic, Not Otherwise Specified"...

If it's not chlorine, I'd guess some nitric acid derivate or relative. I don't think that fluorine is transported in large quantities.
Now that I think about it, it could be a hydrogen halide (HCl, HBr, HF) too.
Now that I think even more, phosphor halides are also possible.

Maybe you should do a check on occasion :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Yes, drill a little hole and have a sniff.  :mrgreen:

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 06, 2010, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: Lindorm on April 06, 2010, 12:04:50 AM

If it's not chlorine, I'd guess some nitric acid derivate or relative. I don't think that fluorine is transported in large quantities.
Now that I think about it, it could be a hydrogen halide (HCl, HBr, HF) too.
Now that I think even more, phosphor halides are also possible.

Maybe you should do a check on occasion :mrgreen:

Flourine compounds are used in metallurgical processes, and I have myself operated trains that had tanker wagons loaded with hydroflouric acid (unknown concentration, though). I wonder what they were lined with, but I was not inclined to have a look.  :P

The company I work for also runs wagons loaded with cyanides from a chemical factory in Sweden to a Czech company that specializes in supplying process chemicals for metallurgical industry. Industry uses some very strange things...
K.Tucholsky (1930)