News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Movies Based on H P Lovecraft Novels

Started by Roland Deschain, February 27, 2012, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Deschain

As an avid fan of H P Lovecraft, i'd like to compile a list of films based on or around, or even influenced heavily, by his works, and also to start a discussion on them. Here are the ones that I can remember, but there are bound to be many more that I forget. All should be linked to their IMDB page if possible:-

In the Mouth of Madness
Cthulhu
Dagon
From Beyond
H P Lovecraft's Necronomicon - To Hell and Back
Re-Animator (plus sequels)
The Call of Cthulhu
The Last Lovecraft - Relic of Cthulhu

These are the ones i've seen and own. I enjoyed every single one of these films. In the Mouth of Madness has to be one of Sam Neill's best films, in my opinion, and has a great atmosphere throughout. Dagon and Cthulhu are both very enjoyable, although i'd rate Dagon, with its creepy Spanish fishing village (replacing Innsmouth), as by far the better of the two. From Beyond, Necronomicon, and Re-Animator all star Jeffery Coombs (yes, he was Weyoun in DS9), and are the quirky 80s ones. They're fun to watch, with moments that make you both laugh and cringe, and I would recommend these for sure. Relic of Cthulhu is the latest one, and is a little quirky. Based on the Cthulhu mythos, it takes a geeky ride through Cthulhu fandom, and is well worth watching. The Call of Cthulhu is the odd one out, as it's shot totally in black and white. It's probably the funkiest of the lot, but seems to fit well with the timeframe that it is depicting.

There are plenty more either based on parts of a book, or have a Lovecraftian theme. Check out THIS WEBSITE for more.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

The people that brought us Call of Cthulhu (silent b/w) have now made (b/w talkie) The Whisperer in Darkness. (the HPLHS, can be found at cthulhulives.org)
Also recent is the German production Die Farbe based on The Colour out of Space.
A good address is http://arkhambazaar.com/
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Roland Deschain

Thanks for the film recommendations and the website. I've not seen either of those films yet, and there are plenty of others I really need to see, going by the lists. Are the two films you mention any good, and are the any that for you stand out as being excellent?
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

nefyuBB

Swatopluk

Quote from: nefyuBB on December 12, 2012, 12:38:37 AM
Have you got the Dunwich Horror ?

If you mean the one also known as Voodoo Child, then yes. But I have not yet watched it.

Bruder Cuzzen

The one with Sandra Dee ?

I haven't seen it in decades , All I remember is a hot Sandra Dee and a creepy Dean Stockwell . 

I don't know if I liked it .

Swatopluk

Yes, according to the cover.

A good, although not up to date, guide to Lovecraft inspired movies is "Lurker in the Lobby".

An imo must buy is the H.P.Lovecraft collection

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

So.  How do they handle the reading out loud of the forbidden spells?

I mean, after the disaster of Audible's version of The Necronomicon, and the loss of a major city, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson.... ::)  :P
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

The films find ways to avoid the problem (at least for the viewer, the guys on screen tend to be less lucky). E.g. the film can be silent or the vocalizing does not reach the viewer's ears, or the act of vocalisation takes place off-screen etc.

On other hand, the HPLHS adaptation of Call of Cthulhu has optional Welsh subtitles*, which may have the same effect as pronouncing the dangerous stuff.

*among many other option, unfortunately not Icelandic.

Bruder Cuzzen

Quote from: Swatopluk on December 14, 2012, 01:35:27 AM
Yes, according to the cover.

A good, although not up to date, guide to Lovecraft inspired movies is "Lurker in the Lobby".

An imo must buy is the H.P.Lovecraft collection

Oh ... I want ... but ...I'm spose to be downsizing to back pack.

Swatopluk

Bruder Cuzzen

Yah . I guess. I'm not very much a modern tech type and still a bit internet noob.
I don't like calling people doing business without meeting them .

( not that it helps me much lol)

I just know enough to get around basic stuff .
At the moment viewing anything too long hurts still.