News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Movies, TV series, DVDs and such

Started by Darlica, September 19, 2008, 12:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

This is the place to discuss everything movie and TV series related. Welcome to share your old golden nuggets or your rants about the latest HBO production!

Documentaries, Sci-Fi series, old movies, new movies it all belongs here!
If you want to discuss Jepordy or the CNN news I suggest Miscellaneous Discussion or Serious Discussion though :)

This thread however is for questions about the Movies section of the board.

Edited for clarity
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

pieces o nine

Hey kids, I mentioned the Internet Archive awhile back as a resource for all kinds of interesting bits. I checked in again tonight and found that Night of the Living Dead   [1968]   has gone into Public Domain, and the IA offers download links.

If you're on a PC, I would recommend just using QuickTime. (RealPlayer gave me an irritating and futile run-around loop demanding the download of applications and upgrades which I already have, without ever launching the movie. OTOH, although this is a Vistarrrgh-ready PC, I'm running XP so I don't lose all my other software. Depending on system, your results may vary.)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

For those content with abysmal picture quality that one is alo on youtube complete in one piece (it was uploaded before the 10 minutes limit came ).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Just watched Jack Nicholson in Wolf

Wonder how they all managed to keep straight faces when filming some scenes.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If you have a Netflix account and have broadband it is possible to stream movies to your computer or xbox 360. We have been taking advantage of the latter one particularly because it is conveniently plugged into the big screen TV in the living room. Better yet our internet connection is quite decent and once I plugged the xbox to the router directly I've been able to watch stuff in high definition (provided the movie in question has an HD feed).

I was scouting on the catalog of documentaries and I found a little gem of a documentary about feral parrots in San Fran called The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. The production is from 2005 but unless you see the cars you would've thought that it was filmed in the 70s, nevertheless I found it quite beautiful and moving (it even brought tears to my eyes).

Highly recommended if you like parrots or those odd urban tales about overlooked remarkable people without the corny side so frequent in those stories.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Aw, that sounds so cool.

Oddly, we have wild monk parakeets way up here at Rehoboth Beach. They live in huge apartment-like nests in the park. Wild monks! Like us!  ;)

I've asked for the DVD of The Beatles movie "HELP" for my bird-day (oops, I've got birds on the brain, now). I haven't seen that movie since i was a kid. I hope it's as much fun as I remember. They usd to show it on TV, but haven't lately, at least not to my knowledge, perhaps because it has broad stereotypes of Hindu-type peoples? The Beatles might have been made more sensitive about that factor when they became involved in Eastern spirituality later in their popular years.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Opsanus tau on May 04, 2009, 10:31:38 PM
Oddly, we have wild monk parakeets way up here at Rehoboth Beach. They live in huge apartment-like nests in the park. Wild monks! Like us!  ;)
Directly to my knowledge there are two flocks of monk parakeets in the area, one close by (and my 'tiels go crazy when they hear them pass by) and the other in South Beach's Lincoln Road with possible nests in the palms. Apparently they adapt quite well to urban environments and I frankly don't see why some people hate them. IMO a city already made a significant ecological damage just by being there and if the parrots aren't migrating I don't see how they could be either causing agricultural damage or displacing native species (the colonies are small in many aspects). For all I know feral cats are far more destructive to native species than any parrot could ever be.

Recently we went to the Everglades National Park and we attended a lecture by one park ranger about Burmese pythons and at the end among the pictures of 'invasive' species he had iguanas and monks almost equating them to pythons. Iguanas are a big threat because they -gasp!- eat flowers and landscape fruit! With the monks it's even worse, I can't find any proof whatsoever of damage made by them in cities. With a python it's perfectly clear what the damage is and why they have to be eradicated but until proof of damage is made on feral parrots nothing should be done to them (releasing them is a very different story, though).

Sorry for the :offtopic: this is one of those topics in which I see conservationists gone awry.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

On DVD I watched For those in Peril, an Ealing movie centering on the air sea rescue in the English channel in WW2 (also made during WW2).
Nothing really special but better than most of the digestive final product originating from the US at the time (or, to be nasty, since).

I downloaded (from youtube) the 1954 BBC adaption of Orwell's 1984 with Peter Cuhsing as Winston Smith and watched the frst half hour yesterday evening.
Probably still beats any other attempt.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

Finally got Help!  ::) and it's fun to see it again after all these years. It came with a nice booklet about the film, and includes an extra disc about it's original making and subsequent restoration.

I keep singing "Hey! You got to Hide Your Love Away". Great song.