News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Clean Master

Started by Griffin NoName, July 08, 2014, 05:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Are there really 200 million users?

Is this worth using ?

(Android phone keeps running out of space, driving me nuts, and Facebook keeps acquiring 20 MB data when it isn't even running, go figure).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

The Android 'Insufficient Storage' problem is fairly widespread. I rooted my Galaxy SII - mostly because I can - and now I just use the shortcode *#9900# to access the SysDump menu. If you don't fancy going to those lengths (and invalidating your warranty), Clean Master should do the job.  It seems to get good reviews?

The Meromorph

I use it. No problems that I can see.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Thanks guys.

I think my phone is just oiut of warranty anyway. But I haven't rooted. I'll try Clean Master.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I still don't understand the tug-of-war thing google has with using the SD card for apps and -more importantly- cache. Apps like Browser/Chrome, Maps, and Music should use the SD card for cache by default, equivalent streaming applications like Amazon MP3 do the same which is outright dumb.

Anyway, once you know the culprits clearing cache for those isn't really that difficult.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Thanks. Yes. Clean Master has cleared quite a lot. It also found suspicious stuff and recommended an anti-virus app (millions of users and great reviews, can't remember name) and this recognised them as viruses and go rid of them - avast hadn't found them.  

I've got a worse problem now. It's been around for a few months but now it's a thousand times worse - more frequent. See http://androidforums.com/android-applications/857721-unused-applications-not-responding.html#post6636317
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 09, 2014, 10:16:05 PM
Thanks. Yes. Clean Master has cleared quite a lot. It also found suspicious stuff and recommended an anti-virus app (millions of users and great reviews, can't remember name) and this recognised them as viruses and go rid of them - avast hadn't found them.  

I've got a worse problem now. It's been around for a few months but now it's a thousand times worse - more frequent. See http://androidforums.com/android-applications/857721-unused-applications-not-responding.html#post6636317
If you don't want to go down the root route, a factory reset is not such a bad idea.

Google Play remembers what apps you have downloaded, even after you reset your phone. Reset to factory settings, fire up Google Play and reinstall all your apps. It also clears up the 'insufficient storage' problem for a while.

I use AVG Free antivirus - it seems to do the job well enough and my phone runs quite smoothly.

Griffin NoName

Thanks. I think I will have to do that reset. I've got My Backup Pro which seems to backup everything except the alarms. You would not believe the alarms I have set!! It's the modern version of post-it notes for people with dementia. I've even  got one for remembering to breathe - no not really. I suppose I should market the idea for people with ME/CFS which renders one incapable. Also, thought of re-doiing all the icons for the home screen which I have rigorously organised.

I had no problems with Avast......... until I found it had missed 2 viruses.

I'm not sure about re-installing downloaded Google Play apps - I'm sure it is one of them causing all the bother. Either that or it is Google Play itself.

Perhaps I'd be better just to try deleting them one by one til the problem goes away.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

You may discover that deleting and re-installing may, in fact, fix the issues you are having.

Good luck.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

The Meromorph

I personally recommend "Lookout" as a security App on Android. It's free (even the paid extras are cheap, but most people don't need them).
I haven't had a single virus incident in the 18 months since I installed it.

It particularly delights me by every so often giving me a message that reads "Lookout - everything is OK". :o :P  (Think about it...)
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

But, I hadn't had any trouble with Avast........... because I only knew it had missed two viruses by running a different app...... so now I need three apps :o ...........each app to check on the other two!!
Psychic Hotline Host

Darlica

Quote from: Griffin NoName on July 09, 2014, 10:16:05 PM

Thank you Griffin I now know how to turn of those pesky pre-installed programs that are driving me nuts.

:hug:
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Glad someone's happy. I still have the problem, despite updating everything that needed updating. I suppose not as good as re-installing. I am resenting the time it all takes. It's a phone, not a main frame computer. FFS.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose

I'm always happy about that every time I put my phone in my pocket...   :mrgreen:
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.