News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

BT YouView Set Top Box

Started by Griffin NoName, June 04, 2014, 09:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

At present I have BT Vision which is essentially a set top box which uses both TV aerial and internet too function. I love it as the recordings all have little summaries telling you about the program recorded rather than just title alone. 10 months down the line I can't remember what the program Day Hawks is all about so how can I tell if I feel like watching it etc. well I can with this kit. The ordinary recorders using aerial only can't do this as the program providers don't seem to send out blurb (pathetic), I assume this comes from the internet.

Now it's upgrading to YouView. Very little change except a hike in price, but it means a new set top box.

Just looked up spec. and puzzled by this:

Weights & Dimensions
Product codes
•Item code: 068988
•Bar code: 5016351616024
•Overpack code: 05016351822135
•Country of manufacture: Poland
Item
Dimensions
Weight
Set Top Box
38cm x 25cm x 6.2cm
2.9kg

Gift box
45.4cm x 32cm x 13.5cm
0.65kg (3.55kg inc STB)

Overcarton (full)
47.5cm x 72cm x 34.8cm
18.84kg

What? What on earth is in the supplied kit that means the "overcarton" is 5 times heavier than the set top box inside it?
Granted there's a few cables supplied with the box, but is the Overcarton made of cement?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

I'm guessing the overcarton is what a retailer would call an outer: looks to me like a box of 27 of them. 3 x 3 x 3.
27 x 0.65 is 17-odd kg. Close enough for me...

Griffin NoName

But who would be buying 27 Gift Boxes? Anyway, it's hardly a gift as BT claw it back in monthly charges.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

.........some days later.

Finally made a decision to go for the new version BT TV set top box. Was ordering online and it had an option to say "I am satisfied with my current service" but it wasn't clear to me what this really meant........ so I phoned BT and they said it means I get the new box free and continue my service for free, the only change is I sign up to another 18 month contract which is fine by me........ so all my weighing up pros and cons and can I afford it have been a waste of time........ unnecessary.

Of course, there may be devil in the detail. Shall just have to wait and see when the box arrives next week.

Quite exciting.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So long telco's regulations haven't been weakened too much (like say, the US) you should be fine.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Oh No it arrives tomorrow now - ie I got it wrong, a day too early.

I've had to watch all the recordings on my existing recorder. Now it's empty.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

It did arrive and was carp. Very very slow, unbelievably slow. On investigating BT forums everyone except me knew this and have been upgrading to the newer version of the box. So seems BT are palming off their old boxes on this free promotion. So I phoned up BT and asked them to send the newer version of the box which they did, no charge, free, and it is fantastic.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Actually there's one thing it doesn't do which the old box did and was useful. As well as the descriptive summing up of the program the old box displayed the main actors/presenters/journalists - new one doesn't. Also the general info on the program is just isn't as good as the old one, the new one displays things I don't need to know and I have to press an extra button to get what I need. Also, it doesn't flash up the name of the program when you press delete - so you have to be extra careful.

Apart from that it's a great box and if one had never had the very first one, which I adored, you would think it was truly brilliant.
Psychic Hotline Host