News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Hand-held fuel cell charger for mobile devices

Started by Lindorm, July 06, 2013, 07:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

OK, this is a thing that really makes me want to have it, just because it is such a cool thingie, not because I have a real need for it.

Swedish company myFC has launched their PowerTrekk portable hydrogen fuel cell/handheld device charger. It's a little plastic thing in which you put a power pod in one slot, and a splash of water in another slot, and then it starts using the hydrogen in the water to produce electricity which is stored in an on-board battery, thanks to some very nifty power control electronics. Apparently, the designers have done some clever things with membranes that strip protons and push them back and forth, in a extremely small package.

Not cheap, but for someone who works in the field a lot, I am sure that this could be a very, very helpful thing. For me, there's also the aspect of having read about portable fuel cells in various SF role-playing games I played when I was younger, and now, there is actually one available that's both smaller and more efficient than the ones posted in the equipment lists of the supposed scinece fiction far future...  :D

Available in Sweden and USA for now, but might get more widespread distribution later on. SEK 1800 (€ 195, USD 255) for the charger/battery itself, and SEK 150:- (€16, USD 21) for a packet of three single-use power pods, supplying about 4Wh of energy per pod.

http://powertrekk.com/

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Griffin NoName

Amazing - except perhaps for desert treks. But even if I couldn't get it shipped, I can't see how you get it into the shopping baasket?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

I don't think they have a functioning online shop yet.

You can order it from Swedish retail supplier Naturkompaniet,
www.naturkompaniet.se, and, apparently, a US chain called REI.
I do know that Naturkompaniet ships to most EU locations, but I suspect they might be quite pricey.

Still, it is a very nifty thing, isn't it?  ;)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

For that price, you could get one for Lindorm & ship it to him...     ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677