News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

cables!

Started by pieces o nine, June 09, 2013, 05:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

My head is bowed in shame: this is the first time I have not been able to figure out audio/visual hookups & remotes for myself. Until I can see the dvd menu on-screen I can't verify the cable sequence is correct. I have Midco and could  call them, but would rather not; if a US sib has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Based on past experience, I *think* I've got the cable-to-dvd, dvd-to-tv cable hookups part correct, and that I've programmed the Midco remote for the dvd player. The 'video source' button on the Midco remote brings up the Input Source on-screen menu (which I'm familiar with from V's house), but I can't get it to switch to 'Component.' The cursor navigation buttons only bring up the tv schedule and act on that.
???

TV specs
Midco-supplied cable box specs
Midco-supplied 'universal' remote
no-frills dvd player specs

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: pieces o nine on June 09, 2013, 05:17:51 AM
My head is bowed in shame: this is the first time I have not been able to figure out audio/visual hookups & remotes for myself. Until I can see the dvd menu on-screen I can't verify the cable sequence is correct. I have Midco and could  call them, but would rather not; if a US sib has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Based on past experience, I *think* I've got the cable-to-dvd, dvd-to-tv cable hookups part correct, and that I've programmed the Midco remote for the dvd player. The 'video source' button on the Midco remote brings up the Input Source on-screen menu (which I'm familiar with from V's house), but I can't get it to switch to 'Component.' The cursor navigation buttons only bring up the tv schedule and act on that.
???

TV specs
Midco-supplied cable box specs
Midco-supplied 'universal' remote
no-frills dvd player specs

A quick-response would be to check which holes you plugged which cables into-- some TV's backsides, this can be very misleading or even unlabeled.  With some TVs, they are "smart" and won't display as an input, the inputs that are empty or not-plugged with something.

In short, look at the diagram in your manual, and compare **that** to the back-plugs..
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Let me guess, you are using the midco remote? My FiL had (and still has because he hasn't understood yet what's going on) a set in which the cable box is connected to the Component input of the TV and was flumoxed when he tried to change TV channels on the TV section of the TV.

First, a) you should connect the Cable box (midco) to the TV using HDMI* and the DVD player should be connected using Component (not composite). b) If you don't have an HDMI for the cable box you'll be forced to use the component for the cable box and composite for the DVD.**

Second, you should have 3 remotes for 3 devices: TV, cable box, and DVD player. To use the DVD vs Cable you'll have to a) use the TV remote and place it in HDMI for cable and Component for DVD or b) use Component for cable and Composite for DVD. Note, the names may be different: Component = YPbPr, Composite = Video.

Visual Glossary:
HDMI:

Composite:

Component:

*HDMI cables are frequently not included in the box and you may be forced to buy one, do so online or search for one in your local mega-store but do not buy the ultra expensive ones (they are robbing you!), somewhere you should be able to find some at a moderate price (always more expensive than online but not abusive), you shouldn't pay more than $10 for an HDMI cable. If the cheap b@$tards didn't include a component (five connectors) either then you'll have to buy a set of those too for the DVD, as your TV only has one composite (three connectors) input.

** pity you don't have one of those upscaling DVD players with an HDMI output, the difference in quality is big compared with component and drastic compared with composite.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

Thanks, Zono.   I have various (current!) cables for tv+, music+, and computers+, but not the one you pictured. I'll pick up a 5-connectors option this week and try that. I'm used to the in/out daisy-chain configs, and was surprised to see out/out (!) on the back of the dvd player I picked up this weekend. V had the high-end tv, home theatre, and dvr/cable converter combo and it was nice. We're a bit down from that here, but still should be able to play a movie disk.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Can you return the DVD player? Try an upscaling one with HDMI, it really makes the difference.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.