News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wireless Router - dead basic

Started by Griffin NoName, January 30, 2013, 08:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I need a dead basic, wireless + adsl router, speed not an issue, distance not an issue, for my father in his care home to link into the care home's network. I can't see any need to spend much on it.

Does this one look Ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005626U8S

The only issue I can think of is interference. But I doubt many of the old folk have wireless routers.

EDIT

Actually might be worth extra £20 for this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005626U9W as it handles interference (to some extent) and has USB port for a printer which father has been whinging about needing (he has needed to print one page in the last year, plus he could print to the network printer downstairs in the care home office....and he doesn't have room in his room.... ).

Apart from Belkin being good, I like these as they have a small footprint which is good as father's room has all surfaces filled to the brink.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

The cheap one looks OK, Griffin, if you csn do without the USB.  But presumably the router will serve a computer, so why can't you plug a printer into that?

Griffin NoName

The idea is to do away with the laptop. The Tablets don't have great port features. There's only two ports, a micro USB - suppose I should check whether a full size adaptor would work****, the other being some really weird one which appears to be called POGO. The easiest option - plus easiest in terms of where on earth a printer could possibly be squeezed in, is to send wirelessly to router and and from there to the printer. There are subtleties to this that you may not fully appreciate. No equipment in my fathers room is allowed to remain set up if not actually in use*. All cables must be unplugged and bundled, all equipment put away. Everything has to be returned to their boxed state as at delivery*. In order to persuade him to, perhaps leave the printer plugged in and out of it's box, I think I need to encourage it's placement in relation to the rooter rather than the tablet.

*I fear the router will be switched off and unplugged from the adsl connector <sigh> (this is done for safety not aesthetics

*the RAF trained them to make theor beds with hospital corners. My father has taken the philosophy way beyond the call of duty

***took ages to ascertain that an SD card slotted into a USB stick with USB to micro USB would work (no other way of getting files off and on, other than using the cloud, which is what most people will be doing but I doubt father will think suitable)

~# remember father is 92, it would be a lot easier if he was 2, my grandaughter has no problems with their iPad

*** did you see Prince Harry's bed? What a mess, even worse than mine, clearly they are no longer inspected < :offtopic: >
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Umm, you say it''s to connect to the care home's network.   To me that implies an Ethernet connection, in which case you would only want a wireless access point, ADSL would not work at all.  If you just mean the care home's telephone wiring, then so long as they do not use a PABX, and you have ADSL provisioned to your father's telephone line then OK.  Also, printing from a tablet can be a bit tricky, unless the printer supports the particular OS on the tablet, ie Android or iOS, unless you get a Windows 8 device in which case you should be fine.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Odd you should be discussing this. I had given the O'lette my old computer, which does not have wireless. We put it our wirelss router in her room and ran her computer through it and the phone line.

Problem: Our house is so old that the router kept losing connection through the phone line in her room. I had to move it back to my office just to get online. We have a Verizon phone guy coming tomorrow to install an updated interface block. I just got an automated call saying that someone's coming between 8 and 5 to install Fios!  ::) We've decided to deal with it when the guy gets here.

In short- if Dad's care home is ancient, there may be problems with the line.

Griffin NoName

The care home uses a strange box thing with adsl connection that plugs into the laptop at present. Therefore need a router with wireless IN and adsl OUT. Their network is very poorly set up. Looks like it was done by someone who didn't have a clue about networks. Amazing that it actually seems to work. And, yes, ancient. The security is an issue as it is not clear there is any.......... but the router I am looking at has a firewall.

For printing, I was looking at tablet ----wireless--->router ---> USB or wireless printer, but yes I do need to work out how to find a compatible printer.

EDIT

Just found this http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=5165422&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=c03382115

HP eprint for mobiles - solves the problem (scroll down for android option).
Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose

Weird!  It certainly does sound like it was set up by someone who had a shortage of clues.  Last year I had to rebuild the network for a primary school that had been set up by someone who had "learnt" on the fly how to set up a network.  There were several domain controllers, none of which were set up properly (when he could not get Active Directory to work, he just started another install on another PC - good grief!).  Then there was a Linux box running as a router between the two subnets, even though the Catholic Education Office had installed a standard (for them) router - the problem being this guy had chosen non-standard (for CEO) IP addresses for the servers.  Add to that he was running all the PCs in peer to peer mode and all user accounts including the student accounts were administrator accounts.  I basically just backed up all the data and then blew it all away and built it from scratch.  The school has been highly delighted with the additional control, the lack of students hacking things and the overall performance.  Moral of the story:  spend a bit more to get the job done properly in the first place and down stream costs will be much less and you will have a lot less trouble.

Opsa, have you thought of buying a USB wireless dongle for the old PC?  Not very expensive (less than $20 in Aus) and then you can just connect to the router wirelessly.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

No Blue, I haven't. Should I look up 'USB wireless dongle' on the web to find out where to get one?  ;)

Bluenose

Umm, yeah I suppose so. 

I had a look and here are a couple of options from Walmart Online: Cnet and Linksys

Of these I would think the Linksys is likely the better, but I have had excellent service from quite cheap ones.  Sometimes you can simply take the risk with the cheapy and if it fails you just get another one and still be in front financially.  The issue is how much of a problem it is if it does fail and can you live without it for a couple of days until you can replace it.

Opsa

Thank you for the info. I had no idea that these existed. My old computer is a Mac. What do you think of this one?

Verizon man is coming this afternoon to replace old telephone interface block. If that doesn't work I'll find wireless adapter for the old Mac.

Bluenose

Hi Opsa, should be fine so long as the beast runs MAC OS 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6.  Oh, and I would say it is generally better to forget about the "Automatic" config, the so called easy options.  In my experience they usually give you more trouble than they save.  Best to configure it yourself.  It's not hard, despite what they say in the promotional material.

Griffin NoName

I have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my printer and another plugged into my laptop, which are in different rooms. Works a treat for wireless printing provided the printer has paper loaded ;)  There's 4 digit pairing code for security, not brilliant but adequate. The dongle is specific to Hewlett Packard (HP printer) - the internal bluetooth in my laptop does not work with the printer, though not clear why not.

I've been reading up on HP eprint and HP printers for my proposed set up for my father and can't make head or tail of the wireless connections - depending on whether reading about ePrint or reading about the router, it comes up with different networking so totally confused - do I need one or other or both........... will do diagrams if father decides to go ahead.

Blue, your description of the bad network setup made me giggle in several parts.
Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

I should look into wireless printers, as well. I've has HP and Cannon wired printers, and I liked the Cannon a bit better than the HP. Does Cannon make wireless?

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 01, 2013, 06:03:30 AM
Blue, your description of the bad network setup made me giggle in several parts.

Glad to be of service :)