News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

LED Lighting

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 17, 2007, 05:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

This are the 2nd gen that I'm using in the bathrooms, omnidirectional and warm light. I get them in packs of 3 at Costco/Sams. The ones on my fridge are the same brand but the previous generation, but should work fine in the fridge too (it will glow 'cause those are fairly brilliant).

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

What is the voltage rating on those globes, are they strictly 110 VAC or are they 110-260 VAC?
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

According to the fine print on the bulbs themselves 120V 60Hz 2.5W 55mA.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I've not seen those available in my area.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Ranchao

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 17, 2007, 05:34:08 AM
According to this article Peimar led lighting is coming thanks to Toshiba. The price is quite expensive for now but the fact that it is now commercial implies that we should be seeing this kind of tech in homes soon.

No matter how expensive these lights are. They save lot of energy to compensate their prices

Sibling DavidH

Hello, Ranchao!  Welcome.  ;D  It would be very nice if you would post in the 'Introductions' section and tell us about yourself.

BTW I agree with you about the lights.

Opsa

Nice resurrection of this thread, too.

I love holiday lights. A while back I bought some LED white lights for the front porch, but they cast an eerie bluish glow and are kinda dim. They work great for Halloween, but for Yule I'd like something cheerier. Any energy-conscious advice?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

They sell LED decoration lines in places like Home Depot, with different colors etc, perhaps you can check pricing.

Aggie

I think frosted LEDs might be available, to mimic the look of the old frosted incandescent bulbs.  That should help with the dead-light factor.
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsa on November 09, 2012, 02:48:14 PM
Nice resurrection of this thread, too.

I love holiday lights. A while back I bought some LED white lights for the front porch, but they cast an eerie bluish glow and are kinda dim. They work great for Halloween, but for Yule I'd like something cheerier. Any energy-conscious advice?

They have since improved the color temperature of white LED's to include some warmer hues.  You could try again; they are easily price-competitive with traditional styles-- buy from a reputable dealer, and you can always return them if you don't like the color, and try ones with solid colors such as red, yellow or green (or even blue).

I purchased an LED-based light for my main living room fixture-- I love it, and it's actually better than the CFL it replaced.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Thanks for the recommendations. I found some "warm" LED stringed lights yesterday, and at half price!

I love the energy savings, but I must say, the "vibration" of the light is a bit wearying on my eyes.

Bruder Cuzzen

While out on a stroll o happened upon a string of led holiday lights . They were on public property in front of a neighbour's home   wrapped around a very small sapling . It was powered by a small solar collector . I want some since I haven't an electrical outlet outside.

Opsa

Solar powered! Nice! I wonder how expensive, though.

Bruder Cuzzen

It looked quite easy to make up something similar with discarded LEDs and solar panels . Simply connect the leads of the string of lights to the solar panel(s)

Bluenose

Umm, don't forget a battery of some sort.  Otherwise you'll get your lights to work really well in the daytime, but at night...  :mrgreen:
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.