News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

LED Lighting

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 17, 2007, 05:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

According to this article LED lighting is coming thanks to Toshiba. The price is quite expensive for now but the fact that it is now commercial implies that we should be seeing this kind of tech in homes soon.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I like LEDs much more than compact fluorescents.  On a completely irrational basis.

They are very good on power though, aren't they?
WWDDD?

Bruder Cuzzen

LEDs are nowextremely efficient I just picked up a solar powered one for my garden and it is very bright .

A benefit for indoor use in the summer months since the diodes create more light than heat ( i think) . Anyway i've never been burned by any LEDs .

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Their main problem IMHO is their end of life, in order to create the light you need semiconductors and those are usually toxic. OTOH LEDs come usually packaged in a solid plastic bubble, so while not precisely biodegradable, that should reduce the impact on water reservoirs.

I imagine that as they become more popular recycling may be an option.

Aggie

How is the lifespan compared to incandescent and CFLs?  I've almost never seen an LED burn out on an electrical component, but I imagine for indoor lighting the relatively higher light output required may be a bit tougher on the system.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Googling I found this:
Quotea manufacture may claim 60% lumen maintenance at 45,000 hours.
According to wikipedia
QuoteLEDs have an extremely long life span. One manufacturer has calculated the ETTF (Estimated Time To Failure) for their LEDs to be between 100,000 and 1,000,000 hours [15]. Fluorescent tubes typically are rated at about 10,000 hours, and incandescent light bulbs at 1,000-2,000 hours.
Also at some point OLEDs will be a better option (the O stands for 'Organic') but currently their lifespans are too low compared to crystalline/standard LEDs.

LEDs are also more suceptible to voltage variations, so they require more electric protection than your average incandescent bulb.

goat starer

the big problem manufacturers need to overcome with this is that (if i remember my old job right) LEDs are extremely efficient and give of a lot of radiant ligt they have very low luminance. that is to say that they are bright when looked at (hence extensive use in tail lights, traffic signals etc) but do not illuminate their surroundings very well. in the past an led bulb would cast a feeble light unless directly viewed. I understand this is being solved which is probably good news.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Chatty

Reflectors.

Shiny aluminum foil...

Used to have tiny LEDs to put lights into bouquets. To actually have them show up, I always collared them with aluminum foil. That way you could SEE the stupid fad item that the bridal magazines pushed...not just intuit it.

Lord, some folks are gullible!! (Lighted bride's bouquets are UGLY!! But Mothra Stewart talked about one for a beach wedding, so...monkey see, monkey waste money and do!)
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

My turn to ponder LED lighting.

I've found a cheap lamp I like but it's an LED : "average 34 lumens brightness".

It's a small spotlight flexible type thingy for fixing to a desk except I would be fixing it just above my head to shine on a book when sitting reading.

The radiation angle looks like zero to me in the picture, but let's say it is 5 degrees.... thus the lamp has a luminous intensity of 167.22 x 34 candela but now I need to know the density to work out the luminous flux, and only then can I compare it to my good old 60 Watt light bulb where 40 w is 450 lm. According to wiki. So apart from needing to consult the maths (woops sorry math) thread, I am up shit creek without a density. And also as I don't know if it comes with Blue LED & yellow phosphor, several phosphors, Ultraviolet LED & red, green, & blue phosphors, or Blue LED & quantum dots - though the last seems unlikely and the first rather more likely - let alone whether we are talking Homoepitaxial ZnSe, all in all I don't know much at all.

And since the technology to make all this generally useful in the home is not invented yet - should I presume it will light a sentence but not a paragraph and is therefore useless for reading?

EDIT another cheap deal scroll down and see the normal cost - how many people does it take to screw this lightbulb purveyor?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

QuotePrice: £3.99
Normal Price: £79900.00
You Save: £79896.01
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

LED lighting is a bit cold (notice how they say "but we have engineered to a colour rendition index of 90 and they produce a clean white light which is often preferable to the yellower halogen beams."); once they figure out a way to a) spread it better, and b) make it warmer, it will be a hit.

beagle

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

:update:

I bought the LED light.

It is fantastic. I've clipped it on my bedhead and it has a bendy stalk so I have it positioned exactly over my shoulder on the spot where everything happens.

While on that topic, and in ref. to a different thread, I abandoned the idea of a second woolly ramp at the foot of the bed (the one at the side continues to prove it's value) and now have a mounting block at the end of the bed instead.

Anyone needing advice in the bedroom department, I now have lots of useful experience ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Roaming here and there I found this:

QuoteThese LED tubes fit into a T8 fluorescent fixture. The brightness is similar to a 40W T8 bulb, but ours uses 14W of electricity. You save 26W per bulb.
For US$65 doesn't sound bad at all.

And also this:

Bruder Cuzzen

I picked up a solar powered LED lamp for my garden.It is blindingly bright and stays on deep into the night .

Griffin NoName

I'm sold on LED. I like the bright white light from mine.
Psychic Hotline Host