News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)

Started by Opsa, February 07, 2007, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

The chemical plants in Germany are designed to be as selfsustaining as technically possible and therefore highly integrated (the heat produced by reactions is used to produce steam etc.) At least in the larger city areas CHP is now, I think, standard. I can literally see were both the hot water from the tap and in the radiators comes from (though the electricity may come from the other end of the city out of my immediate sight*).

*Yes, I know that it is not strictly correct to say the juice is "coming" from one plant or the other if there is a net.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on February 16, 2007, 01:58:20 PMActually, wood pellet stoves are being marketed around here as an environmentally friendly heating option:

Dad used to sell 'em and we had one as the main source of heat in our cabin at Silver Star.  Much nicer than hauling wood, and the forced air keeps them efficient.
WWDDD?

goat starer

wood pellet is very popular in Sweden.

Kielder has a great wood fired district heating scheme in The most remote village in England

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsanus tau on February 12, 2007, 04:55:34 PM
...which leads me to another question.

I went and bough two CFLs on sale at Walgreens. With the rebate, they came out to $2.50 each. Still a little steep in outlay, IMHO.

Anyway, my intention was to put one in the carriage lamp over my front walkway for two reasons: 1) because I leave this on for at least three hours per night, 2) Because I thought it would be a good sign of solidarity with my neighbos who are fighting Dominion Power- who plan on putting giant lines close to our town. These lines are to carry energy from Ohio to New Jersey and will be of no help to us- just an eyesore and possible health concern. The CFL campaign is part of an overall protest to the power company.

My question (and I do have one!) is this: Can I put a CFL in an outside bulb if it is contained on all sides by a carriage lamp fixture? I notice on the package that you cannot use them if exposed to the elements. I am curious if dear Sibling Chatty's entranceway lamp is exposed, along with any other input from others.

I've got a CF lamp in my porch light, been burning for more than 2 years, ALL NIGHT.  It's got a photocell I installed, to shut it off when there's enough daylight.

The porch light has 4 sides of glass, but no bottom glass- that trapped bugs, so I removed it after a couple of days. Now the bugs just drop out the bottom.  ;D

Tech note:  if you DO elect to use a photocell, BE SURE to choose one that's rated for fluorescent lights-- some ONLY work for incandescents.  The 2nd type use a thyister (a sort of A/C transistor) to switch power off, and it does it relatively slowly, like a rapid dimmer switch.  This ramping-down of the power will quickly kill the electronics in a CF. A photocell rated for CF's has a RELAY inside, more akin to a light switch.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I may yet try one out in the carriage lamp, just to experiment.

I did return the expensive Walgreen's bulbs and bought two 8-packs at the IGA for 12.95 per pack. They are 13w (as much light as 60w incandescent bulbs) made by Philips. They are plenty bright, and turned on right away. I like them alot so far and plan on getting more.

I do have another question, though: I put some in a landlocked bathroom where we tend to have the lights on a long time in the morning when we shower, but do you think the shower fog might hurt them?

Swatopluk

Ha! XXXX has banned the old light bulbs.

Opsa

Aggie

Fourecks - look up "XXXX beer".  That nation....

Or just Queensland?  ;)
WWDDD?

ivor

I have all CFLs in the bathroom Opsa and they are fine.

Swatopluk

There is an OSRAM factory about 10 minutes walking distance from where I live. They were asked what they thought about the Aussie development and they said that they would appreciate the same here. It took them one hour to even find a single oldfashioned light bulb still in its original package (estimated age 6.5 years) on the premises  ;D

Opsa

Wicked awesome, Swato!!!!!

So far I'm very pleased with the Phillips soft 13=60w CFLs I have placed around the house. They seem to have a warmer, fuller spectrum than the old lights, more like sunlight.

Griffin NoName

Small hint in today's UK Guardian that banning the old fashioned light bulb may be a winner over here.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

...Although they're worried about the small amount of mercury vapour in each apparently. Load of old rubbish; used to have bucket loads of the stuff lying around in the physics lab when I was young and it never....  What was I saying? I've forgotten again.

The angels have the phone box

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsanus tau on February 20, 2007, 10:38:44 PM

I do have another question, though: I put some in a landlocked bathroom where we tend to have the lights on a long time in the morning when we shower, but do you think the shower fog might hurt them?

I have 2 CF's in my bathroom that are 7 years old at least. 

The high humidity has not seemed to affect them at all, and neither has the high "on-off" of bathroom use.

I have no idea what the brand was-- 7 years ago, they were harder to find 'round these parts, so Phillips or GE is the most likely.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I went back to get more of the 8-packs at $12.99 and was only charged $8.99! I think I'll go back and get more before they change their minds about that price.