News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Compact Fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs)

Started by Opsa, February 07, 2007, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

...which leads me to another question.

I went and bough two CFLs on sale at Walgreens. With the rebate, they came out to $2.50 each. Still a little steep in outlay, IMHO.

Anyway, my intention was to put one in the carriage lamp over my front walkway for two reasons: 1) because I leave this on for at least three hours per night, 2) Because I thought it would be a good sign of solidarity with my neighbos who are fighting Dominion Power- who plan on putting giant lines close to our town. These lines are to carry energy from Ohio to New Jersey and will be of no help to us- just an eyesore and possible health concern. The CFL campaign is part of an overall protest to the power company.

My question (and I do have one!) is this: Can I put a CFL in an outside bulb if it is contained on all sides by a carriage lamp fixture? I notice on the package that you cannot use them if exposed to the elements. I am curious if dear Sibling Chatty's entranceway lamp is exposed, along with any other input from others.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

If your carriage lamps are like the outside lamps I have, they can still let rain and bugs in... it'd be safer to use something rated for outdoor use.

Also, I've found that flourescent lights don't like cold temperatures.  Around here, they'd work fine in the summer, but not start properly (and hence probably consume much more power) any time it gets below freezing.

Opsa

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on February 12, 2007, 01:56:38 AM
All those stars out there just giving out light. If we started towing a few in closer now we'd solve the problem for some future generation.  ::)

There'll be plenty of spare light when the Sun drops out the main sequence. Otherwise known as the point at which whether we chose to be buried or cremated becomes academic. ;)
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Don't know whether it would actually be more bright. The total radiating area would increase but the relative intensity shrink and shift to the infrared.
At least we will not be able to blame it on Dubya  ;)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

goat starer

I bet I can think of a reason a reason to blame it on Dubya. I rather suspect that the reason the good lord made the sun have a limited lifespan in the first place was to ensure that there will be an end to republicanism even if we fail to create utopia.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Chatty

Works for me...I have become convinced that the Republican Party in the US has lost its total mind.

----------------------------

As to the outdoor CF's...ours are in completely enclosed fixtures, and up an the porch as well.

Cold? That I can't tell you. They were fine at our 20F low, but that's about as low as it gets around here.
This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

Does the scripture mean with "a new sun and a new earth" that the Lord has to exchange the lightbulbs occasionally? Actually that should be Lucifer's (=bringer of light) job.  ;)
We still have to talk with the latter about the SO2 emissions of his realm exceeding the regulation limits.

goat starer

My biggest worry is that a major switch to solar power could use up the sun completely in just a few years.  :o

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Swatopluk

Or that somebody would charge us for using all that power.

goat starer

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Swatopluk

Opsa

Hmmm... that might work in our favor, sort of. If the politicians thought that there was a profit to be made by solar energy, they might be more enthusiastic about backing it.

Thanks, Chatty, for the clue about the porch situation. I wondered whether you ever saw any sub-zero temps there. We don't often see them here, but occasionally we do.

Sheesh, after buying the Walgreen bulbs at $5 a pop last week, yesterday I went into my local grocery store (which openly protests Dominion Power) and there were 8-packs of the 60w for $12.95! I wonder if Walgreen will take these back even if they were on sale. Grrr!

Here's another question: I have ceiling fans with 3-4 lamps apiece. Would the CFLs be appropriate in them?

Aggie

Hmm....  under $2 apiece?  I might have to stock up for some of my major bulbs at those prices, if they can be found here.  The bane of my lighting are the halogens in the kitchen (great for cooking, but wear out quickly and are expensive - plus hot!) - can't switch them out in a rental unit. 

I don't pay extra for electricity, so there's no financial motivation - just environmental responsibility.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

The halogens are the notorious go-bang-ers here too. At least they are slightly more energy efficient than normal lightbulbs and are much smaller.