News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Appropriate Technology

Started by Aggie, August 30, 2012, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Okay, I take it back!

The hand-cranking looks like it would be hard on my back.

The foot-pedaled model looked a little easier, though. Assuming it was foot-powered. Maybe I assumed too much.

It also looks like it may use less water than modern electricackle machines.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 20, 2012, 06:59:11 PM
actually my ex did the cooking

We tried it that way (me and my ex) .... and she managed to destroy more than one cooking pot, in a vain (and futile) attempt at boiling water...

... meh.

If she'd been a wee bit less of a lazy sort? 

.... what was I thinking?  The universe would'a collapsed...

::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 20, 2012, 10:22:09 PM
If she'd been a wee bit less of a lazy sort? 

I wasn't allowed to do the cooking. If I tried, the knife would literally be taken out of my hand.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 20, 2012, 06:59:11 PM
Believe it or not, I got married so long ago that for the first year I handwashed everything in the sink, put them through a mangle and hung them on a pulley rope that went from out first floor flat along to the end of the garden.

Interesting. I have never heard of a mangle used in this way, instead of a centrifuge -though it does make sense. Over here, a mangle is something you use to flatten and crisp up your washing after it has been dried, especially bed linen, tablecloths and similar stuff. I try to mangle most of our laundry, especially since the stuff takes up som much less space in the cupboards afterwards. And mangled linen looks and feels sooo nice!  :)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

Most people today have never heard of mangles, which spoils one of my favourite sayings: "I haven't laughed so much since Grandma caught her tits in the mangle."  :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Today 'mangle' is mainly used as a verb.
In German of course one has to distinguish between Die Mangel (mangle) and Der Mangel (defect, need, lack of something)

So, the 23rd psalm is not about treating cloth

Der Herr ist mein Hirte, mir wird nichts mangeln does not mean 'nothing of mine will get mangled'
While we are at it, one should also not confuse weiden (graze) with (aus)weiden (gut, disembowel).
Er weidet mich auf einer grünen Aue does not translate as 'he disembowels me on the green with great pain'
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

So is a mangel-wurzel what we call one of Grandma's tits after it's been caught in the linen-flattener?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Over here, 'cross the pond, we'd call it a roller, or a washing machine. 

"mangle".  Heh.  That's apt.   My grandma had one (an old fashioned machine with a mangle/roller up top).  Come to think on it?  That machine is probably still there on the farm, even though both gran'ma & pa have long since passed...  I wonder who bought the place-- it was a junkman's treasure-trove, and anyone else's nightmare.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Quote from: Opsa on September 21, 2012, 05:34:35 PM
So is a mangel-wurzel what we call one of Grandma's tits after it's been caught in the linen-flattener?

No that would be an old man's private part

pieces o nine

There was a mangle -- we called it a "wringer" in the laundry room when I was a wee pirate lass. We were Not To Touch it.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Ayuh, we called it a wringer-washer.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

As in "to put through the wringer".

:D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk