News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

From Darlica's Drawers

Started by Darlica, December 10, 2007, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

Yes, but is a bug snugged in a swimsuit as snug as a bug in a rug?
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Darlica

No. Nothing can be as snug as a bug in s rug!
Well, except a bug in a rug that is also fed by "Two fat ladies" that is... :P

One hot-pink squidling is in the making. Here's the prep work and a brief lesson in Swedish. ;D

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

What exquisite drawings! If Leonardo daVinci were to design a crocheted squidling it would have looked like that.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Wow.... you obviously have either eaten whole squid, or else you've dissected one?   <hehe>

That sketch is ... art.   Very accurate rendition-- have the squidlings been visiting your neck of the woods on the sly?  ;)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on February 04, 2014, 06:42:20 PM
Wow.... you obviously have either eaten whole squid, or else you've dissected one?   <hehe>

That sketch is ... art.   Very accurate rendition-- have the squidlings been visiting your neck of the woods on the sly?  ;)

Thank you!  :)
I wish I had a live monastery squidling poseing for me in the ticket booth!
That would have been hillarious. :squid_blue:
But yes, I've seen live ones and Lindorm  has prepared and cooked whole squid and I have eaten it.
And I tend to play with my food, or dissect it if you will, you can ask L about what happend the first time he served me an artichoke*... :D

However, there is a lot of usable squid pictures available on the net and this time I mainly used those for inspiration. :)

*I like to study things in my surroundings, it can be the food on my plate, the colours or shape of a leaf, a seed, a flower, a stone or a popcorn also people especially their faces, bugs, I like bugs. Anything that doesn't object to me looking at it intensly (and some that does. :mrgreen:)

Oooh... your typical artichoke is rather complex-- you could do one in knit, I bet.  :)

As for eating squid?  I did consider where you lived before guessing that. ::)

Darlica

I think an artichoke is far to complex for knitting or crocheting the inner leaves are so thin, smooth and silk like... Silk-paper and Papier Mâché perhaps? Those mediums aren't my forte though.

Both L and I like Asian food and there are at least a couple of very good Asian food supermarkets in Stockholm. *drool* Thai squid sallad *drool* :meal:

I've also visited the coast of Spain a couple of times and seen the squid boats leave the harbour and I've seen the catch at the market the next day. :)

To get the thread back on track a watercolour from a couple of springs ago:

Opsa

Awwwwww  :) ! Are they planting bulbs or picking onions?

Darlica

There's a whole story behind that picture.

They are "replanting" the bulbs I planted...

L and I bought amongst other things hyacinth and daffodil bulbs and planted them in his mothers summerhouse garden on a autumn visit.
When they bloomed in the spring many of them turned up quite far from where I planted them and in some very unexpected places...

So I spun a little story about Head-gardener Sork* and his company Sork and son's and how he was so angry on that big clumsy human planting bulbs in all the wrong places. If it hadn't been for him and his sons who toiled all winter who knows what the garden would have looked like in spring!
And this watercolour as an illustration.

*a Sork is a fieldmouse in Swedish

Opsa

Darlica

The Squidling prototype is done!  :D

This was fun! I had to start over a couple of times before I got it right, it might sound strange but that's part of the fun... Figuring out how to translate an 2D idea/sketch into a 3D model made of yarn. :) Things like that keeps my brain happy!

I had people stopping by the ticket booth just to see what I was doing! 
Usually people who have a question for me or want to buy a ticket, comment my little projects but this time (about the time I started with the arms) people actually came to the booth just to see what I was doing.  ;D

So here it is:

Opsa

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

amazing!

Edit: I could easily see a modified version:  scale it up, and open up the body of the squid to head-size.

Then you could easily turn this into a socking hat for someone to wear.  :)

I suppose modifying an existing sock cap might be easier-- lengthening the traditional one, adding the side-fins, then adding the arms, with too extra-long ones that double as a tie down.

:)

Darlica

Thank you!  :)

If I was to make a squidling hat, I would go about it in a completely different manner. Mostly because there is such a difference in size. The pink little squid is only about 10cm long. :)

I would knit instead of crocheting because it's a faster and easier method, a knitted cap would also be more elastic and probably have a better fit.  I would probably crochet some of the details like eyes though.

I'm now working on a little octopus. The body and mantle is done now the most complicated parts are left the arms.