News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Tapes to CDs

Started by Griffin NoName, August 26, 2007, 08:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on March 17, 2008, 08:08:36 AM
Shop bought music CDs are stamped out, rather than based on dye migration.

Aaaaaar!  They be bein' stamped out by all them peeple copyin' 'em as well !

On magnetic tapes, If you've ever tried recording over a ten year old VHS tape ........<snip>  A more common problem (in my experience) is tape stretching where you've stopped and started too often at the same point.

Usually about an hour in from using it for the weekly soap ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 17, 2008, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: beagle on March 17, 2008, 08:08:36 AM
Shop bought music CDs are stamped out, rather than based on dye migration.

Aaaaaar!  They be bein' stamped out by all them peeple copyin' 'em as well !

On magnetic tapes, If you've ever tried recording over a ten year old VHS tape ........<snip>  A more common problem (in my experience) is tape stretching where you've stopped and started too often at the same point.

Usually about an hour in from using it for the weekly soap ;)

!! Warning !! Science Content !!  :mrgreen:

I find one of the most common issues with old magnetic media is that the glue holding the rust dries out, and the rust falls off.

No, seriously!   Magnetic media (VHS, Beta, Cassette) are based on a polyester ribbon, which in it's "native" state is more or less transparent.  Then, the actual stuff that holds the magnetic signal, (usually some form of iron compound-- rust) is very finely powdered and glued onto the polyester tape.  Then additional layers for lubrication are usually added, but these are glued on as well.

Since polyester is pretty much inert, once hardened into it's plastic state, you need glue to make other substances stick to it reliably.  And, since the tape is supposed to remain flexible, that leaves out the sort of glues that harden completely, like epoxies and acrylic cyanates (superglues).  You're left with glues that remain sticky and flexible.  But, over time, even the best of these continue to dry out, and eventually loose their sticky-ness.  Which lets the iron compound (rust) fall off of the back of the polyester tape (usually all over the insides of your playback machine-- ruining it unless cleaned out.  Rust is just conductive enough to mess up any electronics...)

VHS tapes more than 10 years old?   I wouldn't risk playback on any machine I valued even a little bit.  Same goes for cassettes.

OTOH, if it was the only copy, and I really wanted to save it, I might.  I suppose one could rent for a week, one of those "rent to buy" tape machines, then return it if it gets trashed and claim, "It's broken!".   But that would be unethical! ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on March 17, 2008, 03:10:48 PM
VHS tapes more than 10 years old?   I wouldn't risk playback on any machine I valued even a little bit.  Same goes for cassettes.

Don't worry, the VHS player is nearer 20. I've had my money's worth...
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Lucky that Bishop with the new deadly sins isn't reading this topic.

I have to admit to the same sin as Beagle re VHS.

Interestingly it is only the "newer" machine that can't cope with ancient very over-endlessly-recorded tapes.

They don't make them like they used to.

:mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 17, 2008, 09:34:36 PM
Lucky that Bishop with the new deadly sins isn't reading this topic.

I have to admit to the same sin as Beagle re VHS.

Interestingly it is only the "newer" machine that can't cope with ancient very over-endlessly-recorded tapes.

They don't make them like they used to.

:mrgreen:

Boy, did you nail THAT one--truer words and all that.

The "modern" 'chines, ones made after 1996 or so, are deliberately made to be disposable.  Some are even riveted together (the innards) making it all but impossible to replace belts, felt pads, etc.

"planned obsolescence" indeed!    :stick:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

I have found that it is worth taking out insurance on this kind of equipement. It always goes bust within the extended warranty :mrgreen: and I've been able to constantly upgrade to better machines without paying the whole cost.

I expect they'll close that loophole...............
Psychic Hotline Host

Aphos

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 17, 2008, 10:17:15 PM
I have found that it is worth taking out insurance on this kind of equipement. It always goes bust within the extended warranty :mrgreen: and I've been able to constantly upgrade to better machines without paying the whole cost.

I expect they'll close that loophole...............

Hmm...

My experience is just the opposite.  If it is going to go bust, it will almost always do it within the normal warranty period.  If it makes it past that time period, it will usually last past the extended warranty.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--