News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical Recomendation Helpline

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 30, 2007, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Q, my two favorites are The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, and Earthling.

GET THE WHOLE ZIGGY ALBUM!
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Yeah, I'm thinking so far I'll have to get Ziggy Stardust (album), and a greatest hits CD. and any other particularly good albums reccomended here.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

beagle

Station to Station and Low for me.  The Singles Collection is a good greatest hits one. Overlaps with Station to Station quite a bit.

Edit:

Looks like The Singles Collection might be hard to get in the U.S.
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Yesterday I was watching the Colbert Report and they had this Swedish band called Movits, supposedly a mix between hip-hop and jazz, although I frankly think the association is a bit loose. Very rhythmic with some folk flavor in, check it out:
[youtube=425,350]C8fIVTH0TiM[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]LnaeImQ0TSg[/youtube]
http://www.myspace.com/movits
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

MOVITS! is my new favorite band. It's in a strange foreign langauge, it's hip hop that isn't about sex/drugs/violence/crime, and does have legitimate musical value, and saxophone.
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

nefyuBB

* ahum ahum ahum *

memememememe

lalalalalalla

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i nefyoo tha grate i am
nefyoo tha grate i am i am
i got marrwee to th .. !?

hay !
who wited dis song ?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i no gettid marrweed !

i

Aggie

*OOH*

Just heard that Easy-Star All Stars released a new album (reggae/dub cover) - this time they're taking on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (previously did Dark Side of the Moon and OK Computer).

Can't wait to get my hands on it - oddly, the library has it on order but my local indie record shop doesn't (yet). I will buy this when they do.
WWDDD?

Aggie

EDIT:  Got my hands on it, it's fantastic!  (indie shop had it in-store, just not online).
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Recently acquired Between Last Night And Us by the Audreys.  Love it!

They are allegedly an "Australian blues roots" band, whatever that means.  I would say that they are possibly a bit modern Aussie country a bit rock and roll and a whole lot of whatever it is they do.  They use a quite eclectic choice of arrangements and instruments.  They are also apparently known for their "slow" covers in their live performances, one is included on this CD which I particularly like - the old INXS song Don't Change - it's great.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

DaveL

YArrrr...

I'm exploring early 1970's rock, particularly blues/rock. It's really amazing to listen to those bands and what they produced.

I never listened to the Allman Brothers or Wishbone Ash. They were before my time, so if you get the chance have a listen to "Live at Fillmore East (Allman Bros)" and "Argus (Wishbone Ash)" do yourself a favour.

Amazing guitar work, without the heavy metal. Duane Allman has been consistently voted at the next best guitarist next to Jimi Hendrix and now I know why.

Must not "air guitar" in public...must not "air guitar" in public...

Busily tracking Santa on NORAD...

This year your toast ye chubby, slegh driving, white bearded, coca cola advertisement!!

Aggie

Need some recommendations for "instrumental" music, although instruments not actually required.  I'm looking specifically for something on the mellow-but-interesting side; the best descriptor that I can come up with on the spot is "music that could be suitable for meditation but doesn't sound like meditation music". I'd like a bit more of a beat or rhythm than full-on ambient music, very little understandable vocals (with more permitted if it's not english, and non-verbal vocalizations fine).

Preferred genres would be electronic (of the more organic-sounding varieties; not too many machine-sounds and bleeps) or world music; I'm quite open to classical music as well but have no idea where to start there. 

As a reference, somewhere between Brian Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports and Bassnectar's Mesmerizing the Ultra would be what I have in mind (less ambient than the former and less hip-hop oriented than the latter; Disc 2 of Mesmerizing is actually pretty dang close), but I'm open-minded enough for something above, below or beside instead of between. ;)
WWDDD?

Darlica

I think I know what you are looking for but, I don't know any music like that to recommend. :-\

How about In the Nursery in the meantime? I especially like the Hindle Wakes double album.
Not exactly what you where requestioning but I use it for "lighter" meditation. :)

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling DavidH

QuoteI'm quite open to classical music as well but have no idea where to start there. 

'Fraid I've no idea about anything else.  How would you get on with Vivaldi's Four Seasons?  Trite, but might fit your bill.  Or try JS Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier.

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Swatopluk on July 13, 2010, 09:12:20 AM
And there are electronically enhanced versions :mrgreen:

I was keeping quiet about those.  ;)