News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical Recomendation Helpline

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 30, 2007, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I have some sublime music, but mostly stuff Iv'e heard on the radio. I should get some albums, because although they really only sing about sex, drugs, and ... more drugs, they really are good musicians.

if anyone is still interested in Industrial, I'm surprised no one mentioned Nine Inch Nails... that's what I listen to for industrial. that and Marilyn Manson and certain Rammstein songs, though the latter two are more hard rock/metal.

A good ska band that has most of their music for free is 7 seconds of love at www.rathergood.com haven't checked there in a while, but the stuff of theirs I have is pretty good. Submarine, Kelp, and Love me Like you Used To are my favourites.

I'm not really looking for anything now, though I might check out some of that ska stuff. I'm really getting into new british stuff, but I'm content with Kaiser Chiefs and Electric Six.

which reminds me, I need to pick up Right Said Fred sometime.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on August 26, 2007, 07:20:37 PM
I have some sublime music, but mostly stuff Iv'e heard on the radio. I should get some albums, because although they really only sing about sex, drugs, and ... more drugs, they really are good musicians.

You forgot alcohol, Q. And their dogs. ;) 
When I was cooking part time at my tech school, the other cook & I listened to a Sublime album every single shift.  Prolly for Q, try their self-titled album first.

Oh, one more ska-punk band I forgot about that I really like (haven't tracked down albums, though) is Sonic Boom Six.  Bit of a political edge. And british for Q.
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

alcohol is a drug, agujjie.

but yeah, the stuff I do have is off their self-titled. I actually have some weird stuff, because somehow I accidentally bought live version first, and I also ended up with By the Waters of Babylon by them.

quite odd.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Just got a lot of Sublime to listen to.

I think I won't listen to anything else for a long time now (I have a lot of it).

I'm back..

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on August 26, 2007, 08:57:09 PM
alcohol is a drug, agujjie.

Heh, me of all people should know that. And most Sublime songs are focused on one drug at a time, although there are a few exceptions (Greatest Hits for one).  Don't do drugs.

Weird stuff.... Robbin' The Hood is pretty weird for Sublime (more dub-oriented vs. reggae for 40 oz. and rock-ish for the s/t), same with some of the stuff on Secondhand Smoke.
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I recommend this: Pure Elegance

[/shameless plug]

to make this somewhat valid of a post, I'd reccomend it to thsoe of you looking for something mildly calming, sorta classical, but with obvious techno influences (in arrangement, not any instruments) it's apparently "Fusion" and I mostly just want you to vote five :D

I really do feel bad about all these shameless plugs

~Qwerty

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on August 23, 2007, 09:07:13 PM
I'm starting to really like ska lately, so I was wondering, if someone could give me some recommendations.

Personally, I have obtained some albums by Ska-P, Los de Abajos and Skatalites.

I like Skatalites, because that's the root of ska... But I'd like to get my hands on some good ska-punk.

Any suggestions?

It's not exactly ska punk, but I think it may be impossible to be unhappy while listening to Reel Big Fish.

Aggie

Got reminded of the Mad Caddies a while ago too...  try the album Just One More.  More than a bit alcohol-oriented.  And a bit punk, although not usually at the same time as the ska. 
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

goat starer

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on September 13, 2007, 09:35:01 PM
I recommend this: Pure Elegance

I really do feel bad about all these shameless plugs

~Qwerty

dont coz that was ace. but it makes me think of ireland and regiments. There is something in the melody that echoes the pipes and the drums are pure irish military. great stuff!
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Aggie

Ooh!  Easy Star has a Radiodread player for free... I think it's the whole album:
http://www.hyfntrak.com/radiodread/fromafriend

Definitely recommended (reggae cover of OK Computer).
WWDDD?

Bruder Cuzzen

I would like to recommend Lhosa , a French Canadian group , their first self titled album is in Spanish with excellent musicianship . The album has a "torchy" sound that can be somewhat erotic .

Aggie

An open recommendation to the Monastery: 

"Electroshock Blues" by the Eels.  The album deals with death, mental illness, cancer and suicide but manages to remain surprisingly upbeat and optimistic overall. 

Genre-wise it probably falls under alternative rock/pop, but don't judge it by the genre.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

[youtube=425,350]3QWS1xUkUaA[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]BITwSwi1oaE[/youtube]
This last one's a fan-made music video.
[youtube=425,350]IrRWH-p9WHw[/youtube]
This is Corvus Corax. Sometimes cheesy, but over all, prue epic WIN. Any WOW players here? I can't remember :P
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd